alan-d Posted February 14, 2007 Posted February 14, 2007 This is for my home PC I had to reformat my C: drive - long story but basically the registry was currupt. Anyhow - I lost all my emails, favourites etc (Yes I know but the backup was currupt too! ) Do any of you know of a way to recover data from a reformatted drive? Preferably free Most of my programs are on a different drive and I'm trying to save time by not having to reinstall all the ones that used a link to the C: drive. A shot in the dark I know - but I thought I'd ask
projector1 Posted February 14, 2007 Posted February 14, 2007 Are you at work or off? Your best is attaching the drive to another pc do you have the Ultimate boot cd UBCD (free downlaod bootble cd) http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ you should have a copy of it as part of your pc first aid kit this contains several pieces of software that can recover formatted drives this site has a good read up on recovering data (i have a print out for reference) http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1139 also try testdisk i have util at home if you need it
projector1 Posted February 14, 2007 Posted February 14, 2007 when i first started here i could not boot up a laptop so i got the restore cd and restored it (without backing up nay files!!!) what saved my life this http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm even after a few reformats!!
alan-d Posted February 14, 2007 Author Posted February 14, 2007 Thanks I'll have a look - I've got to be careful I don't restore the original problem which was a borked registry. Somehow refused to open any .exe files and changed shortcuts etc to a .lnk . I couldn't edit the registry even after finding a way to open regedit Very difficult to restore something when no .exe files open It's my home PC, so I'll have a play when I get a chance
projector1 Posted February 14, 2007 Posted February 14, 2007 i was very lucky with the incident above, had i been in commerce i would not be on their books anymore. Did you goto BETT? are you off for the week?
Norphy Posted February 14, 2007 Posted February 14, 2007 Not free but GetDataBack from http://www.runtime.org is brilliant, has never failed me so far.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now