Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Backup Xserve to NAS servers


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi

 

I am running Retrospect 8.1 for Mac to do a replication backup from live server to 2 seperate NAS boxes. One is a freenas box which talks via AFP and the other is to an overland SNAP server which talks NFS.

 

I am having a few problems using the copy function in Retrospect to copy all the contents of the RAID over to 2 seperate NAS destinations.

 

I having problems doing backups to these destinations. I have tested that if I use a external drive connected via Firewire it seems to be fine.

 

Does anyone know how best I can create a replica of the server storage to the NAS boxes. We used to use these NAS boxes to keep backups of Retrospect catalogs which I used to use the backup function of retrospect but having previous bad experience trying to restore from a backup and getting the need media message I thought I would try the copy function instead.

 

The errors I get in the logs are the following:

 

On email:

From Retrospect: Script "MonWedFri AppleNas" failed during automatic execution, error -1017 ( insufficient permissions). Please launch Retrospect and check the log for details.

 

Script: MonWedFri AppleNas

Date: 11/29/2010

Script "MonWedFri AppleNas" incomplete

 

When I look at the logs I get a lot of

 

Scanning incomplete, error -1101 (file directory not found)

 

I have also seen

 

MAP error: unknown MAC error 45.

 

Can anyone help?

 

To me this seems certain to be a permissions problem just wondering if other techs had similar problems settings up network storage to do backups from a MAC server and how did you do it?

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  • 2 months later...
Posted

Why not configure Time Machine to backup to your NAS box?

I'm currently running a test with a MAC OSX 10.5.8 that is successfully backing up (and restoring) to/from a netgear readynas 1100.

Once I'm happy with it, I'll be configuring all the Macs (and probably the XServe, too) to use the NAS box

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...