Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

My own fault this but I'm trying to figure out how to resolve the problems caused..

 

In a nutshell I built a bad unattended installer for Clicker4 that appears to be nowhere near as silent as I thought I'd got it.. The installer was hanging and because I hadn't tested it properly on a single machine I now have 5 machines locking up after I told the GPO to uninstall it (hoping it would be ok... oops, erm wrong!).

 

So, anyone any ideas how to remove this GPO from the systems queue and stop it from locking up?

Posted

Assuming your MSI is a wrapper of some kind then you could try this...

 

1 - Use 'PSLIST -s -t \\PCNAME' from a remote PC. This should show you the processes running on PCNAME. If you look at the hierarchy you should be able to work out which sub-process is stuck.

2 - Use 'PSKILL \\PCNAME ProcessName' to kill the stuck process

 

This should allow Windows Installer to complete whatever it was trying to do.

Posted

Thanks for that AJ..

 

As it happens I tried a different tack of removing the GPO completely (it was only handling software installs for one package anyway) and putting a recompiled "empty" AutoIT script into a wrapper that had nothing in it.

 

Not sure which bit worked best but I figure it either continued when it had no MSI to work from or it completed the "empty" msi and went on its way... eithe way it's fixed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...