Haptic Posted October 27, 2010 Posted October 27, 2010 We have an offer on for this notebook at the moment.........please check the spec. SONY VPCS12C7E/B.AE1 Notebook PC Processor Intel Core i3 350M / 2.26 GHz ( Dual-Core ) Hard Drive 500 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm Networking Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1 EDR Built-in Devices Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial, Bluetooth aerial, cellular aerial RAM 6 GB (installed) / 8 GB (max) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz - PC3-8500 Display 13.3" TFT 1366 x 768 ( WXGA ) Optical Storage Blu-ray Disc™ Drive: BD-R/-RE/-ROM/ DVD+-RW/+-R DL/RAM Drive Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 310M OS Provided Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Edition Dimensions (WxDxH) 32.9 cm x 22.9 cm x 3.2 cm Weight 2 Kg Price for these £769 ex VAT including delivery - £100 cheaper than Misco!
Arthur Posted October 27, 2010 Posted October 27, 2010 Hard Drive 500 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm That HDD seems a strange choice, given that this laptop has a really fast processor and lots of RAM.
featured_spectre Posted October 27, 2010 Posted October 27, 2010 Arthur. Sony tend to stick lower read speeds in for the fact they last longer. Fine they might be slower but over time, they turn out quicker than 7200's as the 7200's lose speed, especially in laptops
localzuk Posted October 27, 2010 Posted October 27, 2010 (edited) That HDD seems a strange choice, given that this laptop has a really fast processor and lots of RAM. Apple do the same thing with their MacBook Pro the last time I checked. So, it isn't just a Sony thing. I spose it wont matter in another decade, as we'll all be using SSDs anyway. Edited October 27, 2010 by localzuk
Arthur Posted October 27, 2010 Posted October 27, 2010 7200's lose speed, especially in laptops Doesn't this apply to all HDDs though? The more data they contain, the slower they get? we'll all be using SSDs anyway. That's true. I'm surprised more laptop manufacturers don't use Seagate's Momentus XT HDDs (at least on their high-end laptops). These would be a really good choice until SSDs are cheap enough to put into everything.
featured_spectre Posted October 27, 2010 Posted October 27, 2010 5200s dnt slow down as much as higher speed drives, nor do they slow down as much.1x 7200 hdd I have now spins at roughly 4000....and I have had it for 5 years....one 5200 I have spins at roughly the same rate and I've had it the sane length of time. Both are used in machines with heavy use.
Arthur Posted October 27, 2010 Posted October 27, 2010 That certainly makes sense. I think the reason I've not come across this before is because I never keep a HDD longer than 2-3 years.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now