bewlay51 Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 Hello all, How can I create an MSI file for Office 2010. I need it to be tweaked so it installed the serial key and registers the product with Microsoft, so there is nothing for the user (or me) to do apart from run it. Many thanks, John
glennda Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 I stand to be corrected but if its like office 2007 you cant deploy via MSI but have to create scripts. This is a howto here 1
jsnetman Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 Create a network installation point for Office 2010 You need to create an administrator install point first as the above link. 1
Gatt Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 run setup.exe /admin to start the office customisation tool Go through all the options, save it (eg silent.msp) Copy the MSP file to the Updates folder in the office folder Now when you run seteup.exe it will automatically pickup the MSP file and install wihtout any interaction 2
RabbieBurns Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 I stand to be corrected but if its like office 2007 you cant deploy via MSI but have to create scripts. This is a howto here I deployed office 2007 via msi and group policy no problem ? 1
FN-GM Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 I deployed office 2007 via msi and group policy no problem ? Please can you share with us how please Thanks
RabbieBurns Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 edit the .xml file to include the serial number, set the options to accept eula etc to true, etc, (the file is pretty self explainetry) Then simply create a GPO with the software installations pointing to the .msi within the Enterprise.WW folder. 1
AngryTechnician Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 He's right, Office 2007 was perfectly feasible to deploy via GPO - I did it too. Microsoft even wrote a technical article about it, albeit a few months AFTER Office 2007 was released: Use Group Policy Software Installation to deploy the 2007 Office system Office 2010 didn't work for me using the same method, however.
Arthur Posted October 10, 2010 Posted October 10, 2010 I stand to be corrected but if its like Office 2007 you can't deploy via MSI but have to create scripts. As others have said above, you can. I need it to be tweaked so it installed the serial key and registers the product with Microsoft, so there is nothing for the user (or me) to do apart from run it. In addition to adding the product key, there are a few other things you may want to configure. Details below... http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/deployment/customising-office-2010-before-deployment/ http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/applications/roaming-local-settings-in-office-2010/ Microsoft have also created a huge 198 page guide which contains literally everything you need to know about deploying Office 2010. It can be downloaded from here... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2d67bf2d-75ff-47d9-ae7b-c67b09a9c902 1
Gatt Posted October 10, 2010 Posted October 10, 2010 wonder if you could create the usual MSP file as I described above, then wrap the setup.exe in an MSI using ORCA or Visual Studio.... 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now