Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
Given the spending cuts coming down the road, I'm considering my options for future employment. Wondering if anyone out there would pay for software packaging. I know that a lot of people on here do their own, but perhaps smaller schools would be interested. Any thoughts?
Posted
Don't know if you could make a living just concentrating on packaging exe's. Most decent software comes with an MSI, I think you would have to offer a host of services rather than just one.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
There is (or was) work to be had packaging, my father in law contracts for a large pharmaceutical company, now mostly general support but he used to be contracted just to do software packaging.
  • Thanks 1
Posted

As others have said, most come with MSI's. RM does a whole host of BluePrints (simple exe's that create MSI's from a set of files) for free (obviously RM schools), and if those aren't available I believe they still sell packages to schools for around £20 (for certain titles only, but the list is quite extensive).

 

After that, there's AppDeploy which helps with packaging all sorts of software.

 

Personally, I don't think there's business in this alone, and would need to be offered alongside other services.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Wondering if anyone out there would pay for software packaging.

 

Yes, I'd think so. The can't-package-a-licensed-product thing actually works to your advantage - you'll have to package each institution's software individually. We still have plenty of software that doesn't come packaged as an MSI, too.

 

--

David Hicks

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...