CyberNerd Posted September 6, 2010 Posted September 6, 2010 Can someone please recommend me a reliable NAS for a small business. needs raid 1 and an onboard DHCP server. Space isn't a big issue, just something that won't need to be rebooted. (normally I build something from a pc/freenas, but want dedicated hardware this time) TIA
EduTech Posted September 6, 2010 Posted September 6, 2010 I personally Recommend QNAP, I myself have only known of this hardware for a couple of months but it's fantastic! interface Is so friendly and you can do pretty much anything! ISCSI Rocks! Runs Virtual Machines from it and everything! Recommended for VMWARE and Microsoft Hyper V R2 QNAP Systems, Inc. ( TS-239 Pro II Turbo NAS ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider James. 1
CyberNerd Posted September 6, 2010 Author Posted September 6, 2010 Sounds like just the thing, but might be a little overspec? (it really is a small business, 3 people). I'll sound him out and see if he wants to part with £500. Mind you, their turnover is larger than our entire school, and it is replacing a 6yr old SBS2003 (with the help of google docs)
EduTech Posted September 6, 2010 Posted September 6, 2010 They do have a variety of different models just depends on which one is right for them I guess, we normally provide then to Small Business with a small user base and normally have 2x 2TB Drives in them. Tend to really only be for System Recovery Backups if I am honest and then with a removable disk for off site backups. do the job nice and are reliable. I use 1 of them at the moment for Virtual Machines on a Test Network Basis *ISCSI* Connection connected to x2 Hyper V Servers in Cluster and they work great for testing the Failover in a Test Environment. James. 1
CyberNerd Posted September 6, 2010 Author Posted September 6, 2010 ok thanks. I emailed recommending qnap.
CyberNerd Posted September 10, 2010 Author Posted September 10, 2010 Received this morning. Thanks you so much for recommending the QNAP 239, It really is the nuts! For the uninitiated (as I was this morning) It's a 1.6GHz Atom powered 'server' running linux with a really simple to use web interface. If only this wasn't for a customer! I want to hack it, I imagine it would make a great mythbox.
EduTech Posted September 10, 2010 Posted September 10, 2010 Awesome! How much did you manage to get one for? make sure your running the latest version of the firmware, the new release has some nice new features. James.
CyberNerd Posted September 10, 2010 Author Posted September 10, 2010 Just under £400 inc VAT - firmware was the first thing I did. Just discovered it will backup to a remote rsync server or Amazon S3 so perfect for job in hand.
EduTech Posted September 10, 2010 Posted September 10, 2010 Great Stuff :-) Glad you like it they are really good pieces of kit
dirtydog Posted November 24, 2010 Posted November 24, 2010 cheers for the help guys I'm about to get a QNAP 419P
EduTech Posted November 24, 2010 Posted November 24, 2010 cheers for the help guys I'm about to get a QNAP 419P Good to hear mate! I have just been looking at some of there security products found here: QNAP Security - Network Surveillance Solution Provider They work very well, and are compatible with MANY camera's even the Mobotix kit! James.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now