Hightower Posted August 17, 2010 Posted August 17, 2010 Morning folks, I'm currently sorting our new Dells out, and feel refreshed after a nice week in Cornwall. I've sorted out the audio/video driver issues (I think, testing now but looks good). The DOS driver for LAN was the first thing to go on, and worked fine except I had to tell it which driver to use (it didn't autodetect). Not a problem, but now I have time to try and fix this little issue, so can anyone tell me what line I add to NetList.txt on the build disk? The lines look like this: 8086 1029;e100vm;Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 The third part is obviously the name of the driver as I've called it when adding it, so mine would be something like: xxxx xxxx;xxxxxx;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN The problem is I'm not sure what the first two things in the required line are, and where I would find them so I can add the line to do autodetects. Any ideas folks?
Hightower Posted August 17, 2010 Author Posted August 17, 2010 Think I've just found my answer, maybe should have looked there first. Here's the tech article that hopefully helps me solve it, in case anyone stumbles on this in future: Log In
PiqueABoo Posted August 17, 2010 Posted August 17, 2010 (edited) Go to device manager where you have the driver happily installed etc, right click the relevant NIC -> Properties -> Details and you get a line like this: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1029&SUBSYS_01... You will have different numbers, but in this example: VEN = Vendor ID = 8086 (cutely based on Intel's old CPU name) DEV= Device ID = 1029 The next bit after the semi-colon is the driver name in RM land - IIRC what you called it when you imported it. Edited August 17, 2010 by PiqueABoo
Hightower Posted August 17, 2010 Author Posted August 17, 2010 Go to device manager where you have the driver happily installed etc, right click the relevant NIC -> Properties -> Details and you get a line like this: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1029&SUBSYS_01... You will have different numbers, but in this example: VEN = Vendor ID = 8086 (cutely based on Intel's old CPU name) DEV= Device ID = 1029 Exactly what the tech article says
Hightower Posted August 17, 2010 Author Posted August 17, 2010 So I logged on, got the vendor and device as 14E4 1692, and double checked this on a couple of machines - all give the same vendor and device so that's good news. I add the following line to NetList.txt in the source folder within L:\RMRebuild\Build Manager\RM\Source: 14E4 1692;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver Within L:\RMRebuild\Build Manager\DosDrv I have a driver folder called c_D380LAN and that has a description of Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver I've recreated my build disks from this server, and checked the NetList.txt on the new floppy which shows the added line. However, when I go to build a machine it says it can't find an RM supplied NIC and to select one from the list still. Any ideas?
Hightower Posted August 17, 2010 Author Posted August 17, 2010 Got it working. I found a list of all the other Device ID's for a Broadcom NetLink Gigabit NIC, and added them to the NetList.txt file as well. This device is definately showing as 14E4 1692 in device manager, but it must be being recognised as something else as part of the initial build process. I'll post the list up that I added in case someone needs this in future.
Hightower Posted August 17, 2010 Author Posted August 17, 2010 Here's the full list I added to NetList.txt in order to get the card working for the initial part of the build: 14E4 1692;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 167e;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 167f;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1692;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1693;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1694;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1694;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1698;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1699;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 169a;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 169b;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 169c;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16b1;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16b2;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16b5;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16b6;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16dd;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 16ff;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 170d;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 170e;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 170f;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1712;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver 14E4 1713;D380LAN;Dell OptiPlex 380 LAN Driver Not sure exactly which one of this it picked up, as don't have time to do an elimination process on them.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now