techtopia Posted July 23, 2010 Posted July 23, 2010 I'm not actually sure what question I'm asking here, so let me just put it to you as I see it. I've not really paid much attention to this before, but over the last 2 days I've noticed a significant amount of adverts appearing on web pages which are relevant to recent Google searches I've done, or web sites I've visited. In particular, it's the adverts appearing within Edugeek that have been most noticeable. For example, I have been searching a lot for laptops, in particular Comet's web site. I have also been doing some research into food supplements such as Acai and Co-enzyme CQ10 I've noticed that the adverts appearing on the pages since then have been very related to these search/page visits. Clearly there is some 'probing' going on within my browsing history, so how can I prevent this? Short of clearing out my history/cookies, is there anything else I can do? I do like to keep my browsing history for the obvious conveniences in doing so, but I'm not so keen on it being 'probed' by unknown 3rd parties. As mentioned, this isn't something I've really bothered with or noticed before, but the last couple of days has really made me sit up and take notice.
nile_c Posted July 23, 2010 Posted July 23, 2010 Check out something called Targeting Advertising Cookie Optout version 2. This Firefox extension preloads the opt-out cookie for most known tracking/behavioural ad services, without you having to visit them all and opt out yourself. Make sure to find v2, as v3 is an entirely different bit of software.
techtopia Posted July 23, 2010 Author Posted July 23, 2010 Check out something called Targeting Advertising Cookie Optout version 2. This Firefox extension preloads the opt-out cookie for most known tracking/behavioural ad services, without you having to visit them all and opt out yourself. Make sure to find v2, as v3 is an entirely different bit of software. Regretfully, V2 isn't compatible with Firefox 3.6.7 - are you saying avoid V3 altogether? Any other alternatives?
nile_c Posted July 23, 2010 Posted July 23, 2010 Version 2 got forked by the community into this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/180650/ which will work with newer browsers. Personally, I disliked v3 but YMMV. There are plenty of alternatives in this arena and it's worth trying a few out. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now