LansITGuy Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Hi guys. I am really hoping someone can confirm something for me really quickly. Due to a loss of air con I decided to shut our main servers down for the weekend. When I've restarted them this morning we are having an issue with our DHCP service. In the DHCP window I am being told that I need to authorize the DHCP server by right clicking the server entry and selecting authorize. However there is no Authorize option, only Unauthorize. Do I need to unauthorize the server and then re-authorize it? This is the only DHCP server on our network. I am getting event ID errors of 1059 in event viewer stating that the "DHCP server failed to see a directory server for authentication". Yet the DHCP and AD are on the same machine. Thanks for any advice.
jsnetman Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Don't know what is causing the error but it won't hurt to de-authorise and authorise. I would also check DNS as AD DHCP and DNS are all dependant on each other if DNS is integrated with AD.
LansITGuy Posted July 5, 2010 Author Posted July 5, 2010 Thanks for the info. I'll try that now. As a point of interest, I've found the following which matches what is happening: Event ID 1046 may be logged when a Windows Server 2003-based DHCP server is running on a domain controller in a child domain All the settings seem correct, but I don't quite follow how I'm supposed to use the info.
jsnetman Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 You could also just try restarting the DHCP service. 1
LansITGuy Posted July 5, 2010 Author Posted July 5, 2010 Thank you very much! Why is it on Mondays the simplest things cause the biggest issues. I had rebooted the server thinking that would force the reset of the services, but the same issue happened. Just restarting the service got things going again. Now the fun part, trying to find out why. Thanks again!
jsnetman Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 I would not get to hung up about it, happens here sometimes and also with WDS service not starting correctly but think that would be due to DHCP issue as well. I think sometimes on startup the services miss a beat or something like that. 1
sted Posted July 5, 2010 Posted July 5, 2010 Thank you very much! Why is it on Mondays the simplest things cause the biggest issues. I had rebooted the server thinking that would force the reset of the services, but the same issue happened. Just restarting the service got things going again. Now the fun part, trying to find out why. Thanks again! or just make it run a script at bootup that waits 2 mins say then net stop dhcp server net start dhcp server 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now