Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I am just in the process of setting up an intranet running on IIS 7.5. It works perfectly with anon access and digest authentication when outside of our network. Inside our network it doesn't work.

 

When requested I put in my credentials 'domain\username' and password it just sits there eventurly timing out with a page cannot be found error.

 

Our AD environment consists of 3 domains and users in all domains are going to need access to it.

 

The server itself is running Windows W2K8 R2 Web

 

So far this is what I've tried:

 

Adding BackConnectionHostNames to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0 (as per Users experience authentication issues when they access a Web page in IIS 6.0 or query Microsoft SQL Server 2000 after you install Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1). Adding DisableLoopbackCheck to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

 

Before adding the DisableLoopbackCheck registry entry is was getting the following in event viewer on the web server until the request times out:

 

The domain controller attempted to validate the credentials for an account.
Authentication Package: WDigest
Logon Account: username
Source Workstation: CURDC001
Error Code: 0x0

 

After adding the registry entry above I am getting the following (until the request times out):

 

An account was successfully logged on.

Subject:
Security ID:		NULL SID
Account Name:		-
Account Domain:		-
Logon ID:		0x0

Logon Type:			3

New Logon:
Security ID:		DOMAIN\username
Account Name:		username
Account Domain:		DOMAIN
Logon ID:		0x3b35e11
Logon GUID:		{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

Process Information:
Process ID:		0x0
Process Name:		-

Network Information:
Workstation Name:	-
Source Network Address:	82.198.240.114
Source Port:		43273

Detailed Authentication Information:
Logon Process:		WDIGEST
Authentication Package:	WDigest
Transited Services:	-
Package Name (NTLM only):	-
Key Length:		0

 

I have no idea what is going on or why it doesn't want to work. Any ideas?

Posted
100% sure the username/password is correct because when not connected to the network it works as expected. I've even tried it with multiple accounts from different domains just in case in didn't like accounts that exist in a different domain to the one the server is a member of.
Posted

I have a feeling the reason I went for digest is because integrated auth requires additional ports to be open becuase the authentication happens between the IE client and the DC rather than the server passing the credentials.

 

Digest doesn't need any additional ports because it's challenge and response over http sent to the IIS server.

Posted
I have a feeling the reason I went for digest is because integrated auth requires additional ports to be open becuase the authentication happens between the IE client and the DC rather than the server passing the credentials.

 

Digest doesn't need any additional ports because it's challenge and response over http sent to the IIS server.

 

Falsehood.

Posted

Ok then..... maybe I mis-read this.. This is taken from a post on the IIS.net forums:

 

However integrated auth is totally different, there is no user account's password sent to the server-side. IE client needs to communicate with DC first to retrieve its Kerberos token or NTLM hash string and then send them to IIS to perform the authentication. In other word, the logon action does happen between the client and DC.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...