JPS Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Hi guys I'm up for renewing my mobile (BB 9000) and have seen reviews of the Dell Streak but not yet seen it in the flesh. Has anyone taken the plunge? Any recommendations for or against it? JPS:confused:
AngryTechnician Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 I got one on Friday, along with at least two staff members at the O2 store I went to! My first smartphone in a long time so I've not much to compare it against other than Mrs AT's Palm Pre, but overall, I like it. The bigger screen is exactly what I've been missing on every other smartphone I've tinkered with in the last couple of years. Google Maps is MUCH nicer with the extra screen real estate, and regular web pages are easily readable even without zooming in. Battery life is OK, I deliberately avoided charging it over the weekend when I was playing with it and it wasn't until Sunday night that it started complaining about low battery. Also bear in mind that the front facing camera is/seems to be lower quality than the rear-facing, if that makes any difference to you. The one thing that has annoyed me about it so far is flaky WPA/WPA2 with RADIUS support, though I understand from my research on it this weekend that this is common on many Android devices. If you use PSK you'll be fine.
Domino Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 It runs android 1.6 though doesn't it? I wouldn't even entertain the idea until they get a more up to date version on it. engadget have a review here Dell Streak review -- Engadget
AngryTechnician Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 It does run 1.6. An OTA update is promised "soon". Like I said, it's my first smartphone in a long time so I'm coming from a point where I'm not missing anything by having an older version.
Ashers Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Got to play with one last week at the Dell Enterprise Business Centre, it was just out of the box and there were updates ready to roll. Apart from that, and the fact that flash was a bit touchy before the updates anyway, it's functionality was great. We were looking at the streak as a possible solution for taking registers via our SIMs learning gateway, when on school trips (we already have a school phone, but as an upgrade is due) I thought a smart phone would be better and make this an easy solution. I'd be glad to hear what you guys think of them now you've had them for a short while.
AngryTechnician Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Well, I haven't even had mine long enough for my number port to go through yet, but will attempt to remember to feed back after a week or so. Mine did not have any updates available when I unboxed, and still doesn't. Possibly a later shipment than the one you saw.
teejay Posted June 7, 2010 Posted June 7, 2010 Well, got a Desire a month ago, so its going to be an 17 month wait for me!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now