Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
...Its premise seems similar to that of the Urban Dictionary; readers suggest definitions and Macmillan features those definitions on the site. However, there are a couple of notable differences between Macmillan's Open Dictionary and the Urban Dictionary. One such difference is that, while The Urban Dictionary seems to be a hodgepodge of definitions, Macmillan's Open Dictionary is more of a curated resource, composed of carefully handpicked definitions. In my stroll through the site, I could not come across any definitions that seemed badly worded or otherwise lame.

 

Also I would say that the definitions would tend to be less 'frivolous'

 

Furthermore The Urban Dictionary is filtered by our LEA and although I can't test it at the moment I think that the Open Dictionary will not be filtered [must remember to check tomorrow]

 

http://imgur.com/eOUph.png

 

Link: Open Dictionary from Macmillan Dictionary: Free English Dictionary Online with Thesaurus

 

Main Macmillan dictionary link: Macmillan Dictionary and Thesaurus: Free English Dictionary Online

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...