jamesfed Posted May 12, 2010 Posted May 12, 2010 Good morning all, I’ve been using Virtual Box for some time now using it to VM Windows XP, Server 2003 and Server 2008 however I have now reached the limit of what I know and could use a little help. At work (a smallish secondary school in Oxfordshire) we are looking to use VirtualBox (running Windows XP) and ThinStation as a server hosted/thin client solution for about 10 PCs in our 6th form common room. I have managed to get a basic testing machine setup using ThinStation but once I get onto using USB devices (which I understand requires a modified version of rdesktop) or setting up ThinStation so that it automatically logs into a particular virtual machine I find myself at a complete loss (mainly due to lack of knowledge working with compiling/using Linux). I have found the wonderful ThinStation O Matic tool but can’t quite get it to work the way I envision. Essentialy the way I see it- Student goes to thin client PC, its turned off so they boot it up, without additional interaction with the PC the ThinStation OS loads (ideally with a custom splash screen) and automatically displays the Windows XP desktop/login window of the copy of Windows XP that is being virtualised on a remote server. The student then plugs in a USB stick into the PC and gets their work off it. Just to clarify I have very little experience with Linux and it would help if any explanations were in as simple a format as possible. Thanks, James
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now