Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was just watching BBC1's Watchdog and saw an item on saving money on petrol costs.

 

They recommended a website:

 

Link: Free UK fuel prices. 9,786 petrol stations covered - PetrolPrices.com

 

This site is currently down [could be due to sudden demand swamping the site?]

 

This is what I have been able to obtain from the Google cached copy of the site:

 

At PetrolPrices.com we aim to cover as many current fuel topics and issues as possible. Some of them are categorised below, but we want to hear your ideas too.

 

Might be worth a go [when the site comes back to life!]

 

Edit: New from the site:

 

We are sorry, but the PetrolPrices.com database is currently offline. This is either because of excesive load on the website, or our technical team is working to update the information we have on the website.

 

This should only be a temporary problem, and will likely be corrected within the next 20 mins, so please come back and try again soon.

 

We appologise for this disruption to your service. We will endeavour to correct this problem as soon as posible.

 

Many thanks,

 

The PetrolPrices.com team.

Posted
I've been using this for years. I have stopped lately as after several trips slightly out of my way I found the prices 2-3p higher than stated.
Posted
I've been using this for years. I have stopped lately as after several trips slightly out of my way I found the prices 2-3p higher than stated.

 

The site has just come back to life and replied to my activation request. It looks like it might be fairly accurate with regard to my area.

 

Results of which are, by the way:

 

Prices: Unleaded [Per Litre] and dates prices checked:

 

117.9p 21-04-2010 [Lowest]

118.9p 21-04-2010 [Highest]

 

Not much to choose from in my area then?

 

BTW: Why charge the .9p [as there is no such thing as 0.9 of a penny! :mad:]

Posted (edited)

 

BTW: Why charge the .9p [as there is no such thing as 0.9 of a penny! :mad:]

 

Because we only notice the 118, say it's £1.18 when it's in reality just short of £1.19 Not much difference until you fill up and that .9p becomes 39p per car. It's like the £1.99 instead of £2 but on a bigger scale.

 

Edit: It's when you search for the cheapest station in a certain area you find the price inaccurate. I have a theory petrol stations/companies report on the site with false prices.

Edited by creese
Posted
Because we only notice the 118, say it's £1.18 when it's in reality just short of £1.19 Not much difference until you fill up and that .9p becomes 39p per car. It's like the £1.99 instead of £2 but on a bigger scale.

 

I get that but it is still REALLY annoying. Still :mad:

Posted

I registered on that site in 2008 but haven't really used it much since the prices are all really close in my area. I'm sure there must be some price fixing going on. :(

 

You also get to know which petrol stations are expensive and avoid them. Unless there is a big difference in prices between them, it doesn't make any sense to drive miles out of your way if it costs you more than what you are saving.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...