djones Posted March 24, 2010 Posted March 24, 2010 (edited) Can anyone recommend backup software for me please? We currently use BackupExec v9. I'm planning a new server install (2008 R2 running on Hyper-V, probably) and want to overhaul the backup system. I can upgrade BE or go with something else. Cheers, Dave EDIT: Should mention that I'd like to move away from using tapes and envisage backing up to a NAS in another building in addition to using removeable HDDs for the offsite element so software would need to be able to handle this. Edited March 24, 2010 by djones
danrhodes Posted March 24, 2010 Posted March 24, 2010 Upgrade to the latest version of BE and use Backup to Disk to a NAS it works very well, I use it. D 1
bossman Posted March 24, 2010 Posted March 24, 2010 BE 12.5 latest now but be warned it is very expensive for the upgrade of the clients. There is another alternative which is called "Yosemite" and the link is here BarracudaWare / Yosemite Technologies Apparently it's very good and they do a special with existing BE customers. 1
danrhodes Posted March 24, 2010 Posted March 24, 2010 Not heard of this before im going to check it out this afternoon for 5.
djones Posted March 24, 2010 Author Posted March 24, 2010 BE 12.5 latest now but be warned it is very expensive for the upgrade of the clients. By that, do you mean the addons like sql, and exchange etc?
zag Posted March 25, 2010 Posted March 25, 2010 Microsoft are releasing their DPM backup solution very soon. It looks pretty good to me. http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/dataprotectionmanager/en/us/default.aspx I've been using backupexec for years but the upgrade costs are getting crazy
Simcfc73 Posted March 25, 2010 Posted March 25, 2010 (edited) I am running DPM 2010 Release Candidate at the mo for testing backing up to internal drives. It doesn't like my tape drive and doesn't like external drives so my solution is to use firestreamer with it. It creates files on a external hard drive that DPM thinks are tape slots.... its a bit confusing to start with but I think I have just about got it. The reason I am using it is the giveaway prices with a schools agreement and its friendly attitude to hyper-v. Only taken me 3 weeks to sort it out One other thing... 2008 r2 doesn't support hot swapping eSata out of the box.. crashed my server a few times with this. Edited March 25, 2010 by Simcfc73
IanT Posted March 25, 2010 Posted March 25, 2010 BE 12.5 latest now but be warned it is very expensive for the upgrade of the clients. There is another alternative which is called "Yosemite" and the link is here BarracudaWare / Yosemite Technologies Apparently it's very good and they do a special with existing BE customers. Symantec Backup Exec 2010 is the latest (Released February 2010) I've played with it and used it, better than 12.5
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now