Ric_ Posted November 13, 2006 Posted November 13, 2006 I have a number of these terminals that have decided not to accept input from the keyboard or mouse. After much playing about, I have found that a different model of USB keyboard works (an IBM one as opposed to Compaq/HP!) but the mouse just isn't playing. If I plug the terminal in question into my Belkin SOHO KVM it works like a dream but obviously this isn't a solution! Has anybody come across this problem before or a similar problem with CE not accepting USB input?
GrumbleDook Posted November 13, 2006 Posted November 13, 2006 I'm sure I saw mention of it on schoolforge-uk (BICBW) ... I was sure it was power related (not enough power onto the USB, or some other device drawing too much power from USB) ... the answer was to stick a powered USB hub onto it and it worked fine ... I am sure someone else mentioned a hotfix from HP, or maybe it was a MoBo fix ... Off to delve through the archives!!!
plexer Posted November 13, 2006 Posted November 13, 2006 I'm guessing CE based from Compaq Evo T20 (CE v2). Allthough possible to install linux on them: http://www.kazak.ws/evo/ Ben
Geoff Posted November 13, 2006 Posted November 13, 2006 Well I'm only asking because Linux will disable devices that don't comply with the USB spec and draw more power than rated. You can of course over-ride this behavior. See this LWN article for more info: http://lwn.net/Articles/186331/
Ric_ Posted November 13, 2006 Author Posted November 13, 2006 Indeed they are CE-based. It's strange that they have worked up to now without fault. USB devices tend not to draw varying amounts of pwoer depending upon what day of the week it is. Just trying to find a machine so that I can flash the firmware. It's a proper PITA because you need to fiddle with network settings and have the correct version of the JRE from several years ago installed.
Geoff Posted November 13, 2006 Posted November 13, 2006 Actually if you read the link plexer posted Ric, the first section deals with setting up a vanilla BOOTP server to flash Linux onto them with.
Ric_ Posted November 13, 2006 Author Posted November 13, 2006 @Geoff: I have read that in the past and don't want to bother doing that at the moment... I would prefer these 3 terminals to be the same as the other 40. I have faffed about and now remember that it is the MS JVM that must be installed to make it work... odd I know. Bear in mind that I have installed every release of the JRE from 1.2 to 1.5 trying to make it work before remembering the MS one! Anyway... the re-flash seems to have resolved the problem
Geoff Posted November 13, 2006 Posted November 13, 2006 I wasn't suggesting you put Linux on them. I was suggesting you use his instructions for the TFTP/BOOTP setup to flash the standard firmware on. Rather than relying on some dodgy java applet. Legally, you're not allowed to use MS JVM any more.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now