Gerry Posted March 16, 2010 Posted March 16, 2010 Just had a situation where I wanted to create a VBS script to alter rendering settings for Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player, and thought I'd share my process with you guys. 1. Fired up Process Monitor from Sysinternals 2. Filtered the output to only show stuff from program in question 3. Changed the renderer option in the program to disable overlays 4. Process Monitor then showed me which registry keys were being manipulated (but not which values) 5. I was able to jump straight into regedit to the key/subtree in question 6. I exported the key where the settings were stored before and after a change 7. Using Winmerge I compared the before and after reg export, and I was able to find the exact values which were altered.
Domino Posted March 16, 2010 Posted March 16, 2010 A registry monitor may have been easier. RegFromApp – Portable Registry Monitor | Portable USB Pen Drive Applications 1
Arthur Posted March 16, 2010 Posted March 16, 2010 I use RegFromApp too. Much easier than messing around with ProcMon. It will even let you save the changes as a .reg file. 1
Gerry Posted March 17, 2010 Author Posted March 17, 2010 I guess I'll be giving these a go next time...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now