Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ello folks,

 

Slight carry-on from the same topic in another thread, I'm looking to hook up a web cache server at a school struggling with streaming videos. Will be doing this via Squid on Ubuntu on an old curriculum server.

 

Would anyone know the best way of getting this hooked in to work synonymously with the EMBC Proxy?

My guess is that I'd need to add the relevant embc proxy and exceptions to the cachebox and change the curriculum (possibly just the ICT suite) proxy from EMBC to the cachebox.

 

Would that sound about right? The only cacheboxes I've seen in place round here are equiinet cachepilots which only ever seem to be used for Espresso (I might try and bagsy an old one and take a look at the config) and Aventis (?) cache boxes as provided by BT I believe. I don't suspect either of those setups appears to work fully as the proxy is just set to EMBC on the machines that matter - can they work in that way? (i.e. if they act as a passthrough?)

Posted
Do you use embcs portal for filtering? That could be the only stumbling block. We have a Smoothwall box doing a simalar job works really well.
Posted
Do you use embcs portal for filtering? That could be the only stumbling block. We have a Smoothwall box doing a simalar job works really well.

 

Yeah we do - but only for staff in this case. That could be a downer - might have to look at alternatives - indeed, looking up SmartCache 2, that does ring a bell :)

Posted
I have yet to turn it on, but Smoothwall have added credential forwarding for this type of situation. I don't know if you could do this with just squid.
Posted

Will have a play with Smoothwall too - tbh I've been itching to do that for a long while anyway, this is an ideal excuse :D

 

It's not something that needs to be done that quickly so no rush - plenty of time to sit and test with VMs :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...