jlucas Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 Morning all I've just been given a mac from the Art Dept. and the screen on it appears to have gone. It has 2 large black and white lines going from top to bottom over the whole screen. They are the older ones which are out of apple care so no support from that area. Anyone have any ideas on fixes or replacements? Its a 17" older white IMac from around 4 yrs ago. Cheers James
Robbocop Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 (edited) Hi James, It doesn't sound too hopeful, does it? Check if the iMac you have is one with a mini DVI output on it. If so, you might try connecting an external monitor to see if that works. If it does, the graphics chipset is working fine and the screen has failed (most likely explanation). You can phone an Apple service centre (edit: No pushing your warez! Ric_) and they'll give you a repair estimate, but I don't think replacement screens are particularly cheap, I'm afraid. Edited January 25, 2010 by Ric_ Unauthorised advertising
jlucas Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 Thats about what I was expecting. As usual the school want a cheap 5 minute fix but its not going to happen with this one. Found the correct screen on TheBookYard.co.uk but its £300 and not in stock so i think I'll strip it for parts for when the other 29 go ca-put. Cheers James
Robbocop Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 Sounds like a plan! Either that or take a chance with one on eBay! Best wishes, Rob
Robbocop Posted January 26, 2010 Posted January 26, 2010 Sorry Ric - my bad. Just trying to help and I won't do it again.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now