Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm not sure whether something is perhaps wrong with my setup, or its just the way things are meant to be. When I put a file into someones folder, it doesnt inherit the permissions of the parent folder, therefore if I forget to manually set permissions on it, the user cant open it.

 

I'm sure in the past I've been able to put files in and have them get the correct permissions, which is how I thought it was supposed to work - am I wrong or is something set up wrong? Its not a huge problem, as it only occurs in the odd occasion such as file restores, but its annoying

Guest TheLibrarian
Posted

IIRC the file permissions follow a file that is moved, but not one that is copied.

 

File restores from tape would be a setting in the restore job.

Posted
Aha. Makes sense, since I usually copy. When restoring I restore to a different location, then copy the file over with a different filename just in case they still need the original
Posted

Move to the same volume - permissions are preserved

 

Move to a different volume - permissions are inherited

 

Copy to the same volume - permissions are inherited

 

Copy to a different volume - permissions are inherited

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...