Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok, probably a very simple solution to this. Finally got an Ubuntu test station up and running. I've set up tunnelier which all works but I can't get it to work for anything externally. On the station I can ping, apt-get and everything like that. From an xTerm window it doesn't manage that at all. I have a feeling it is a proxy problem and I have entered our proxy details into the tunnelier setup but no go.

I though that the xTerm window would just run the commands from teh linux box so if it works from there it shoudl work remotely. Am I wrong in this assumption? ANy ideas?

 

Ta :)

Posted

Your using Xterm? So I guess your running an X server on one machine and running Xterm remotely from the other?

 

Did you alter your xhosts to allow a remote tcp/ip connection? Is your xserver listening on tcp/ip? By default it only listens on UNIX sockets.

Posted

Well it is the BitVise xterm window.

 

Currently it is a standard Ubuntu Desktop installation while we test out various packages. Once we have a bit more knowledge we are going to move it over to a server install.

 

Haven't changed any config files, but it is accepting a connection. I can run commands from the xterm cmd line and as long as they are only referencing things on the machine or local network they are fine. So running apt-get, it checks the directory tree, tells me of the dependancies and then tries to contact the external server and just sits there. Not frozen just trying to contact the server. If I do this directly on the station though it is fine.

Posted

Oh I see. Add the following to /etc/apt/apt.conf

 

Acquire::http::Proxy "http://proxy.mydomain.com:8080"

 

Obviously alter the url and port number as required.

Posted
Excellent. Thats worked. What is that file? I had entered the proxy just about everywhere I could find before but as I am finding there is always another config file to find :)
Posted

It's the configuration file for Apt? :)

 

Generally if you set the HTTP_PROXY enviroment variable in the bash profile that should be sufficent.

 

I set it up seperately in the apt.conf and wgetrc files as well, just to make sure. You can sometimes end up with no shell enviroment after using sudo or su to run a command.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...