Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Anyone know the cd install boot option to install the linux i386 kernel ?

I'm trying to install dapper on an old RM machine that has an IBM 233 processor (we have 60 odd of these spare and I thought I'd get the kids to turn them into something useful).

After a standard server install it just 'loads kernel' then reboots over again - I had this before on a custom mame machine and IIRC it had installed a k6 kernel that it couldn't cope with it.

If possible I don't want to go in and fix it after because kids might not understand that bit.

 

TIA

Posted

I was using the server CD, just wasn't sure what boot option to install teh correct kernel. Anyway I might give up on trying to load dapper, I think its probably a bit too much - even with a light load of icewm/abiword/dillo etc.

I'll give puppy a try.

Posted
Or try Zenwalk (uses Xfce). I've found Zenwalk runs better on old hardware than Xubuntu on newer hardware. Doesn't have a pretty GUI installation procedure - installation will be a learning experience and it's not actually that hard :D
Posted

I recently tried setting up a couple of old machines (128M ram 200Mhz) and found that Breezy (prev version of Ubuntu) would install OK (and is fine BTW) and using the Alternate XUbuntu iso then I got Dapper XUbuntu working on another one.

 

regards

Simon

Posted

ok I ran from the alternative cd and it ran fine.

 

I now have dapper :)

 

So whats the deal with the different cd's all I want is a basic window manager and some apps - ubuntu server/ bununtu/kubuntu/xubuntu all use the same base - right ?

so all I need is the base install then build from there :idea: apparently not :?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...