SLMHC Posted December 8, 2009 Posted December 8, 2009 In my excitement to get my 7110 up and running I neglected to install the most up-to-date firmware image. Over the weekend I had an issue with the service processor causing the CPU fan to spin wildly. The tech had just seen the same issue with another customer and a reboot of the SP brought things back to normal. At the end of the call he suggested upgrading as I was quite far behind. So my question is, can I just toss up the latest and greatest or do I need to do this incrementally. I'm on 2009.Q2.1.0 ak-2009.04.10.1.0. My side question should I be shutting down VMs during the update? 1
teejay Posted December 8, 2009 Posted December 8, 2009 Yes you can upgrade to the latest, but would recommend upgrading to the latest 2009.04 release first. Yes you need to shut down your VM's If you are using iSCSI, make sure you take a full backup of your VM images before you do this as there are major changes to the iSCSI subsystem. 2
SLMHC Posted December 8, 2009 Author Posted December 8, 2009 I'm currently using NFS for VMs, with one test VM on iSCSI, but I'll back it up just in case. Just to so I'm clear, my upgrade path would be to ak-2009.04.10.5.1 first, then onto ak-2009.09.01.2.0? 1
SLMHC Posted December 8, 2009 Author Posted December 8, 2009 I just remembered that I have a couple of LUNs presented to 2 Win2k3 boxes as storage drives. Any issues to watch for? 1
teejay Posted December 8, 2009 Posted December 8, 2009 Are these iSCSI? If so, disconnect them first and rebuild the connection afterwards. The core software for iSCSI has completely changed, so be very cautious with it! Just out of interest, what are you using them for? 1
teejay Posted December 8, 2009 Posted December 8, 2009 Sorry, just read you are using them as storage drives! You will get much better performance if you set them up as CIFS shares. 1
SLMHC Posted December 8, 2009 Author Posted December 8, 2009 One is a backup to disk folder for BE11d and the other is storage for my SQL2000 box to backup to. 1
SLMHC Posted December 8, 2009 Author Posted December 8, 2009 I haven't been able to get AD integration working yet so I haven't looked at CIFS yet. I am getting anywhere from 160MB/s to 300MB/s writing to the LUN from BE11d. Most often towards the 160 end. Actually I've never be able to get any non-MS software to join my domain. I inherited an old NT domain that was upgraded to win2k that I have since moved to 2k3. I couldn't tell you the hours I've spent trying to fix the problem. 1
teejay Posted December 8, 2009 Posted December 8, 2009 Try it again once you've done the upgrade, you're missing out on some nice stuff without CIFS :-) If it fails, post the error you get and I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of it for you. 2
linescanner Posted December 8, 2009 Posted December 8, 2009 I haven't been able to get AD integration working yet so I haven't looked at CIFS yet. I am getting anywhere from 160MB/s to 300MB/s writing to the LUN from BE11d. Most often towards the 160 end. Actually I've never be able to get any non-MS software to join my domain. I inherited an old NT domain that was upgraded to win2k that I have since moved to 2k3. I couldn't tell you the hours I've spent trying to fix the problem. DNS is normally the root of all evil here. Is reverse working ? 1
SLMHC Posted December 8, 2009 Author Posted December 8, 2009 (edited) I can ping all DCs by IP and name. NSLOOKUP on DC IPs bring up the correct names. Anything specific you want me to try? I should mention that the error I am getting is that the clocks are out or credentials are wrong. The time is bang on and well it is the same admin creds I use for joining everything else. Edited December 8, 2009 by SLMHC 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now