Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm looking to improve our backup solution and hopefully reduce future costs by removing the need for tapes.

 

2 domains totalling a useable 2TB

 

Possibly looking for a NAS or SAN solution to give me the ability to do at least one full backup a week and incremental each day plus some to store images.

 

I've looked at the Buffalo Terrastations but was wondering if anyone out there has used a different option?

 

It would need to be located in another part of the building, so rack mounted would be useful as I may be able to stick it in a comms cabinet.

 

Any suggestions?

Posted

Don't forget a ups in your solution.

 

The terrastations are easy to setup for this purpose.

 

Or a big box with some big disks running openfiler or another companies nas.

 

Ben

Posted
We have been using a terasation with robocopy for non critical data fro a while. It works welll with robocopy (or backup software hung when trying to connect to it). I would suggest that you buy a seperate switch and nic's if you can afford it as you may be moving a lot of data. The only thing I would say is that backup onsite are just as risky in fire as original data and so you still need an offsite soloution for critical data.
Posted

I have found the buffalo boxes to be shockingly slow. What I have done is get some old clients, load them with windows 2k3 (because of the cheap license) and shoved a few SATA hard drives in there.

 

Having a seperate machine means its really easy to add more storage and you also get the flexbility to upgrade other components.

 

I then use ntbackup with some custom vb scripts to rotate the backups and sort out the logs.

 

This seems to work fine for backing up SQL, Exchange and user data.

Posted
I have found the buffalo boxes to be shockingly slow. What I have done is get some old clients, load them with windows 2k3 (because of the cheap license) and shoved a few SATA hard drives in there.

 

Having a seperate machine means its really easy to add more storage and you also get the flexbility to upgrade other components.

 

I then use ntbackup with some custom vb scripts to rotate the backups and sort out the logs.

 

This seems to work fine for backing up SQL, Exchange and user data.

 

I have a similar setup to that :)

Posted

I'd seriously suggest you take a look at backupassist it's really good for managing ntbackup jobs with email reporting of the logs as well.

 

I know you can use scripts to also do that using something like blat or maybe even native from a vbs but backupassist makes it so easy.

 

Ben

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...