Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

The languages department has requested to be able to click on .fw3 files that are associated with this program.

 

Obviously I know how to set the default graphically but the language lab has 38 computers and Id prefer to script it

 

I did look at some info given in the PDF thread - http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4327&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

but this seems to only be useful if something else is currently assigned to a file extension, what do I do to script it for an unknown extension?

Posted
File associations are stored in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. I suggest you 'fix' one machine manually. Then export the relevent section of the registry to a .reg file. Then import it on the other machines with 'regedit /s'
Posted

Hmm when I do one manually, it does create a reg entry, but it doesnt seem to create anything meaningful like the location of the .exe that would open the file. Tried exporting the reg file and importing onto another pc and it doesnt work

 

Also, interestingly, if I delete the key on the machine I did it manually on, it still keeps the association..how is that?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...