wesleyw Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 When the pupils join the VLE system it seems to be setting them up as teachers instead of students how do I change the pupils already setup to students? Wes
lindylou Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 I had noticed the same thing, when adding teachers to a course, all the students are in the pick list of possible teachers as well as being in the expected students list. I'm a real newbie at Moodle so don't take this as gospel, but I seem to remember that students could be allowed to "teach" a Moodle course. Maybe that is why students turn up as teachers? Linda D
wesleyw Posted October 2, 2006 Author Posted October 2, 2006 It authenticates against the Linux IMAP email server. But I think you're right Lindylou by the looks of it, it just allows anyone to teach but seeing as they can't create courses or topics without being a creator it doesn't really mean anything lol newbie doesn't even come close to how naive I am with moodle Wes
lindylou Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 Don't worry, wes, we can team up and venture into the dark art of Moodle together Others are already giving us a hand! Geoff, as I am at an LA, and merely trialling Moodle, I am uploading test user accounts in bulk upload files or individually, I am not able to authenticate users. What is a nuisance to me is that every Moodle user seems to need an email address - not always possible in my situation. Hey ho, onwards and upwards (or sideways in my case! ) Linda D
Geoff Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 As you say, it really doesn't matter. As long as they aren't assigned to any courses then they can't do any harm. Moodle relies heavily on email notification.
budgester Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 I had noticed the same thing, when adding teachers to a course, all the students are in the pick list of possible teachers as well as being in the expected students list. I'm a real newbie at Moodle so don't take this as gospel, but I seem to remember that students could be allowed to "teach" a Moodle course. Maybe that is why students turn up as teachers? Linda D At the moodlemoot this year, there was an excellent presentation where a school set up every student with a course of there own and as a teacher of there own course. They then used this course as an ePortfolio.
lindylou Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 At the moodlemoot this year, there was an excellent presentation where a school set up every student with a course of there own and as a teacher of there own course. They then used this course as an ePortfolio. Thanks for the tip - I'll check the moodlemoot archives for that. Crikey - I hope there is a way of bulk creation of courses with each student allocated as a teacher - can't imagine setting up several dozen or hundreds of courses for a big school individually! Linda D
CyberNerd Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 Thanks for the tip - I'll check the moodlemoot archives for that. Crikey - I hope there is a way of bulk creation of courses with each student allocated as a teacher - can't imagine setting up several dozen or hundreds of courses for a big school individually! help yes - the enrolments plugin. We use a MSSql database (tweaked CMIS) to automatically enrol students onto their courses.http://docs.moodle.org/en/Enrolment_plugins
lindylou Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 yes - the enrolments plugin. We use a MSSql database (tweaked CMIS) to automatically enrol students onto their courses.http://docs.moodle.org/en/Enrolment_plugins Phew - thanks CyberNerd, that's good news. I feel quite hampered by not having a user db as a school does. Time to borrow the training dataset from our SIMS/Finance crew methinks! (Sorry to have hijacked your thread, wes - I'll keep quiet now until the next Moodle hurdle) Linda D
CyberNerd Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 enlosed CMIS (MSSQL) moodle integration script we use.archive.zip
CyberNerd Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 I'm sure it can, but IIRC the issue with SIMS is one of licensing and that Capita want us to pay for their solution. Same with autocreate accounts from SIMS to AD.
wesleyw Posted October 2, 2006 Author Posted October 2, 2006 I suppose so it's certainly something to look into! Does anyone know how to make a course so that the only way a pupil can enrol is for the teacher/admin to have enrolled them themselves (with the added security of an enrolment key) we want to setup a system where we have high, middle and low tiers depending on students ability? Wes
wesleyw Posted October 2, 2006 Author Posted October 2, 2006 You could create a report that outputs to CSV then try using that to import into moodle?
Geoff Posted October 2, 2006 Posted October 2, 2006 Does anyone know how to make a course so that the only way a pupil can enrol is for the teacher/admin to have enrolled them themselves (with the added security of an enrolment key) we want to setup a system where we have high, middle and low tiers depending on students ability? You need to do this on a per course basis. Go have a look at the course settings page. It's all well explained there.
wesleyw Posted October 5, 2006 Author Posted October 5, 2006 @budgester: If all of the students need an eportfolio and you need to create a course for each and assign them as teachers to it, do you know of a quick way of setting these up? Wes
wesleyw Posted October 5, 2006 Author Posted October 5, 2006 I've also managed to find a portfolio additional module to the moodle system which although installed fine is causing one or two problems hopefully these will be sorted as it seems like quite a powerful utility! There is also "elgg" I believe which can do portfolios. The system I'm trying to setup makes it very easy for pupils to have eportfolios I think the courses idea maybe a little too time consuming to setup for every pupil at present though if I can't get this software to work I'll still have to do it lol! Wes
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now