link470 Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 Hello! I've been configuring a Terminal Server for the last little while, and I've come across an issue that I thought I'd bring up with you guys. The Terminal Server is Windows Server 2003 R2, and I'm configuring the Terminal Server because I'd like to have multiple users access a Microsoft Access front end database application that talks to a SQL server on the network. At the moment, each user has the database front end in their local C drive, and they just launch the front end which acts as a client, to access the data on the server. Now, with the new setup, I'd like each user to be able to log into the Terminal Server and to only be able to run Microsoft Access and that database front end file. Here's what I did. I moved a copy of the front end Microsoft Access file they use onto the Terminal Server, placed the Access front end in the root of C, gave authenticated users modify permissions on the folder, and then tried logging in as 2 or 3 test terminal server users. You may figure out pretty fast if you're familiar with Access that the first account that opened the access database worked, and subsequent accounts couldn't open the database because of the database lock. My question is, can each Terminal Server user share one front end database file? Or do I have to update a front end database on each users configuration each time there's an update to the front end? I'd end up having something like C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Database\FrontEnd?? Then I'd have to log in and replace the files in each \Database\FrontEnd folder of each Terminal Server user on each update of the application [which doesn't happen often, maybe every 2 to 3 months we receive an updated front end]. Thanks for any information!
ajbritton Posted December 1, 2009 Posted December 1, 2009 I maintain an Access FE-BE database system that is accessed via Terminal Services. The way I addressed this was to write a small 'loader' stub in AutoIt which maintains a cached copy of the latest FE DB in the users profile under Local Settings\Application Data\MyDatabaseName. This was necessary as the FE DB was not designed to be used by multiple users. In theory, I cannot see why a properly written FE DB should not be accessible by multiple users. As long as any code running in the FE DB does not assume it 'owns' the session then all should be well. I have never tried this however.
buzzard Posted December 3, 2009 Posted December 3, 2009 (edited) was there not an option somewhere that allowed multiple users to use 1 access db somewhere?? Ah Ok after looking I now realise that ajbritton has answered it with the FE = Front End!!! not quite the answer but explained it for the relative Access novice that I am!! - Using MS Access: Multiple users of Access database, concurrent usage, initial problem Edited December 3, 2009 by buzzard
link470 Posted December 3, 2009 Author Posted December 3, 2009 Using MS Access: Multiple users of Access database, concurrent usage, initial problem Thanks for your replies so far! I read that article I quoted, and it makes sense. The issue I'm having though I don't think is related to network security. Just related to the fact that as soon as one person opens the Access FE, a lock file is created and nobody else can open the FE from the share drive. Any workaround for this? A few google results recommended checking that Shared was the radio button selected in Tools>Options>Advanced under Default open mode, but it already is.
ajbritton Posted December 4, 2009 Posted December 4, 2009 Are you sure the Tools, Advanced, Shared settings is done for each user?
ajbritton Posted December 4, 2009 Posted December 4, 2009 Can I also suggest a test; Create a new Access database Create a single table with a couple of fields Put a couple of records into the table Ensure the database is saved on a share where all users have Modify access Try connecting two users to the new database The purpose here is to eliminate the Access configuration and decide if it is something specific to the database that you are using.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now