Green_IT Posted November 25, 2009 Posted November 25, 2009 I am currently trialling software that reduces my print consumable usage and reduces the power out put of my 2000 PC's by 30%. But how far can we go?
TechMonkey Posted November 25, 2009 Posted November 25, 2009 Switch everything off and go home If you insist, laters
mossj Posted December 2, 2009 Posted December 2, 2009 Using the ecofont? although not sure about it's effectiveness?
JJonas Posted December 2, 2009 Posted December 2, 2009 I am currently trialling software that reduces my print consumable usage and reduces the power out put of my 2000 PC's by 30%. But how far can we go? What software is that?
Green_IT Posted December 2, 2009 Author Posted December 2, 2009 I am using a print software called Preton. It actually removes the excess pixels of ink from the printed page. I can set the saving level at 0-70% depending on what Im printing. Eg.. I have set all pupils to a 40% saving whilst teachers have the choice. Internet Expolorer is set to B/W as its only ever used for draft copies... its brilliant! So far, its been installed for 2 weeks and I am saving £30/day in ink toner alone! It'll pay for itself in 2 months. Secondly, I am using a power management software called PC Shutdown. It has lots of similar function you may find in other power mgt software but this one allows me to hibernate/log off machines automatically either when its not in use or not logged on after 5/10 mins or so.. On initial tests, Im hopeful of saving £10/15 per year per PC - that could be an electricity saving alone of min £20k!!! I'll keep you posted on that. If you want any more info I have a contact for both - [email protected] - an IT consultant that supports us as a school
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now