CyberNerd Posted October 26, 2009 Posted October 26, 2009 I'm building a new webserver (RHEL5.4 on ESXi) the /var/www partition is going to be a separate partition on an FC SAN. in the future I would like a separate smb fileserver to also be able to read/write to the same filesystem at the same time as the webserver I know that I can do this with GFS, but I don't have very much experience of it so I am wondering if I can create a vmware filesystem and have another vmware server mount the same filesystem. Does vmware manage multiple read/writes at the lower level or does the native (RHEL) fs need to deal with that. please forgive me if this doesn't make sense.
Ric_ Posted October 26, 2009 Posted October 26, 2009 You can't do that... you will get data corruption. What you need to do is export an NFS or SMB share from your webserver and write to that instead. 1
CyberNerd Posted October 26, 2009 Author Posted October 26, 2009 Thanks. That was (sort of) the answer I was looking for. I'll setup a GFS2 partition and do it that way. I know that redhat can use clustered filesystems, just wasn't sure about vmware. The ultimate goal is to somehow merge the shared staff area (mapped drive) into the moodle file repository - when v2 arrives. somehow.
Ric_ Posted October 26, 2009 Posted October 26, 2009 The ultimate goal is to somehow merge the shared staff area (mapped drive) into the moodle file repository - when v2 arrives. somehow. A simple, but effective, way of managing all that rubbish I suppose.
apaton Posted October 27, 2009 Posted October 27, 2009 (edited) I'll setup a GFS2 partition and do it that way. I know that redhat can use clustered filesystems, just wasn't sure about vmware.. I'm with Ric_ that I would use NFS. GFS2 seems over kill, but must admit I've never used GFS. Just read, redhat.com | Red Hat GFS vs. NFS: Improving performance and scalability which says good things about GFS. I know NFS, it is so simple to setup and will work. . Is GFS simple to set up and manage? Andy Edited October 27, 2009 by apaton Grammar 1
CyberNerd Posted October 27, 2009 Author Posted October 27, 2009 I was reading up on GFS this morning, GFS itself looks simple enough - just partition the filesystem as an LVM volume and then mkfs.gfs2. same as any other filesystem (although quotas are a bit different). However, it looks to me that to get the full functionality and do what I want, I would need to setup a cluster and use RH Advanced server (more money) or revert to centos. As this is a distant project, I'll hedge my bets and setup a GFS partition - then I can either export it as an NFS or do the cluster thing at a later date.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now