clodhopper Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 I have a server that I'm going to start trialling KVM, it's running Ubuntu 9.0.4 & I have KVM running OK but I'm having trouble getting my brain round how Ubuntu decides which netcard gets which ip address & then how to setup bridging. The server has 6 Gb cards, two onboard(currently eth0,eth1)that I'd like to keep for management etc & a quad port card that I'd like to bridge two for virtual machines & bond two for access to our new SAN when it arrives. Currently I have configured the server with the two onboard ports (see interfaces file below) but I can't get my brain round is how it's know's what IP address to give to each card (used to go by MAC address) & how to setup the bridging & bonding bit for the quad port card, the server sees them OK in /var/log/messages as eth2,3,4,5 but they aren't configured. I have looked at loads on setting up the bridging but only on single cards not multiples so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative. Thanks Brian Chivers # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5). # The loopback network interface auto lo eth0 eth1 iface lo inet loopback # The primary network interface iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.210.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 network 192.168.0.0 broadcast 192.168.255.255 gateway 192.168.0.2 # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1 dns-search portsmouth-college.ac.uk iface eth1 inet static address 192.168.210.2 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 192.168.255.255 network 192.168.0.0
dhicks Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 I have looked at loads on setting up the bridging but only on single cards not multiples so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very appreciative. A quick Google for "ubuntu port bonding" brought up this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LinkAggregation Which seems quite simple. Forget "bridging", that's something else entirely (a software version of a network switch), you want "bonding", which from the link above should simply be a case of defining a "bond" interface (i.e. "bond0", like "eth0") and listing the eth interfaces you want in it, along with giving it wahtever IP address you want: auto bond0 iface bond0 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.254 dns-nameservers 192.168.1.254 post-up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1 pre-down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1 You might need to install a bonding driver (ifenslave) before you start, and the documentation there doesn't seem too keen on Ubuntu's network manager, recommending you remove it. IEEE 802.3ad support on the switch is also handy, seemingly. This related thread from a couple of months ago might have some useful information in it: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/thin-client-virtual-machines/39439-drbd-nic-bonding-load-balancing-openfiler.html -- David Hicks
powdarrmonkey Posted October 19, 2009 Posted October 19, 2009 Currently I have configured the server with the two onboard ports (see interfaces file below) but I can't get my brain round is how it's know's what IP address to give to each card (used to go by MAC address) & how to setup the bridging & bonding bit for the quad port card, the server sees them OK in /var/log/messages as eth2,3,4,5 but they aren't configured. If Ubuntu works the same as Debian (which it normally does) and you are using udev (which you probably are) your device names are defined by MAC in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and then mapped to IP addresses in /etc/network/interfaces.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now