BrianG Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 I've seen a thread about this, posted sometime last year, but now things have moved on abit I'd like to know what peoples thoughts are. I'm replacing the server at one of my primary schools. It's currently running Server 2003. It's the only server in the building so will be used as DC and file server. The view eventually, when money permits, is to get another member server as a file server. What are preoples thoughts; go to Server 2008 or stay with 2003. I don't mean the obvious thing of how long support will last from Microsoft and things like that but more useability, reliability etc.. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
BrianG Posted October 6, 2009 Author Posted October 6, 2009 I'll be managing it. I know Server 2008 and Server 2003. I've maintained a Server 2008 before as I have one in another school but never set one up to be used as a live server, the ones I've set up I've only ever used as testing.
Ric_ Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 It's also worth considering how you license machines. If you have a subscription agreement then you'll be covered for CALs and you should even be able to upgrade the workstations to 7 (to take full advantage of 2008). If you use Select, you would have to buy all new CALs for your clients which could prove very costly for little benefit in your situation. 1
BrianG Posted October 6, 2009 Author Posted October 6, 2009 Forgive me, I don't know much about Microsoft licensing and the different types. It's something I was never involved in. I know we buy licenses with the machines as they are bought. We don't have any schools agreement or other type of volume license. We currently run a Server 2003 which is licensed, if I did upgrade to 2008 would anything have to be changed to the XP Licenses?
tonyd Posted October 6, 2009 Posted October 6, 2009 Have a look here - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/overview.mspx Each server requires a server license. Addionally, either each user, or each machine requires a client access license (CAL). Pretty much anyone in education will opt for machine (or device) CALS as you probably have more users than devices. It is important to note that a CAL for Server 2003 will need to be replaced with as CAL for Server 2008 as soon as you add a 2008 server to your network. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now