Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have three different software installs for the main IT rooms. I'm just wondering where there is anyway of setting up the folder redirection so that if the programs don't exist in that room they don't show up?

 

Wes

Posted

You can re-direct to a local folder that just contains the icons you need on that machine. You will need to create the folder on every machine mind and populate it with the necessary icons.

 

Alternatively, use loopback or WMI filters to assign one of three different folder redirection policies.

Posted
@mark: I know others have but I don't personally. What I do is have a generic start menu and then have a shortcut to a share holding the random selection of gubbins that come with laptops (CD burning software, DVD players, etc.). IIRC the shortcut links to a batch file that opens the a folder called \\server\share\%computername% in explorer.
Posted

@wesleyw: Why do you redirect start menu? If you leave them alone, then they will automatically show the software installed on the machine. Here's what I do...

 

1 - Students have mandatory profiles and are restricted from seeing the All Users stuff and only get the basic XP start menu. When a student logs on, a script copies the AllUsers stuff to their Start Menu for that session except it filters out the stuff I don't want them to see (uninstalls, readmes etc)

 

2 - Staff have roaming profiles and are NOT restricted from seeing the All Users stuff.

  • 1 year later...
Posted
being economical here and digging up an old thread, ajbritton do you have a copy of this script please, and would it work if you restricted access to the common startup groups via gpo?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...