Nick_Parker Posted September 11, 2009 Posted September 11, 2009 Hi everyone, I'm busy setting up a small webserver to run our intranet stuff and some PHP projects etc... Is there any advantage to installing Web Server 2008 R2 instead of Server Standard 2008 R2? What's so special about the Web Server edition that gives it its own install and keys? Ta
superfletch Posted September 11, 2009 Posted September 11, 2009 No idea - I'd love to know though, I'd have thought IIS is on it by default (maybe DNS role too) and I'd expect Firewall to be more configurable/robust too. Anyone??
IanT Posted September 11, 2009 Posted September 11, 2009 Web Edition is VERY cut down and only comes with IIS (2008 R2 7.5), DNS & Media Services, thats it, no more no less. 1
Cache Posted September 11, 2009 Posted September 11, 2009 Generally web edition is just that, an IIS server with no AD componants which you would get with standard edition. Version comparison available here: Windows Server 2008: Compare Roles 1
budgester Posted September 12, 2009 Posted September 12, 2009 If your only gonna be running php web site, why not try a basic linux install.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now