Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

New Router - Where have I gone wrong please?


Recommended Posts

Posted

I've bought a Netgear DGN2000 router/modem to replace my Belkin one.

 

I've set it up and connect to the Internet via a wired connection (XP Media Centre) :)

 

I switched on the laptop (XP Pro) and connected to router wirelessly :)

 

So both PC and laptop have internet. :)

 

Now for the :(

 

The PC and laptop can't see each other's Shared documents and the Laptop can't see the shared printers locally connected to the PC.

 

Now all this worked on the old router, so what have I done wrong in the changeover, please?

 

|The only thing I can defintely say that is different is that on my old router settings, I could see the Local Domain name... and I can't on this netgear one. Be gentle I really don't get this kind of stuff!

Posted

update routers firmware to latest revision and then check what firewall functionality it has ( not sure if the routers firewall will affect the local network though )

 

Also what about software firewalls ie windows firewall, zone alarm, correct share and ntfs permissions and are you using the ip address or host names of the computers and what operating systems are on both computers ?

  • Thanks 1
Posted
( not sure if the routers firewall will affect the local network though )

 

it shouldn't affect the internal LAN traffic. if it does, then you probably have a serious config error somewhere.

 

are the machines in the same workgroup? (press windows key & pause/break, then click computer name)

  • Thanks 1
Posted

they both wired conenctions or one wireless and one wired or what exactly ?

 

Presuming they are both on the same network as I know some routers have 2 wi fi networks one for guest and one for your own network ?

  • Thanks 1
Posted

The PC is wired, the laptop wireless.

 

After initial suggestion regarding the firewall, I've managed to sort the laptop now... I can see the laptop's shared documents from the PC.

 

Now to try and grant the laptop access to the PC - another battle with a firewall, I think!

  • Thanks 1
Posted
if its vista /7 the replacement router will probably be detected as a different network so it might of decided its a public network rather than home/work and set the options appropriately (so file sharing etc blocked)
Posted

OK - here's where I've got to and how I got there.

 

The wired PC is XP Media with McAfee on it

The wireless laptop is XP Pro with Norton

 

Norton's firewall played ball very easily and willingly let the PC access it once I found the bit I needed to enable.

 

McAfee was a S*D - once I persuaded it to trust my network, it let me see the shared printers and folders on the PC, but I couldn't actually access any of them without turning off the McAfee firewall. The network was apparently 'trusted'... but that didn't seem to mean anything. In the end, by going through things manually (I should have better than to trust a wizard) I spotted that it while the IP range of the old router was 'Trusted' still; the IP range for the new router was 'Public'... acting on a hunch - I changed Public to Trusted and finally both PC and laptop were talking to each other properly.

 

The wireless connection for the laptop seems slower on the Netgear router than on the old Belkin (when it worked), but as I have yet to put the new router in an optimum position, hopefully that will improve.

 

Needless to say while I was battling with this, the kids got their iPods connected instantly to the router. We have yet to attempt connection from the Wii - I'll save that for tomorrow. Now a bottle of red is calling :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...