Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

OK, I am running Ubuntu 9 with GNOME and wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to create a startup script to execute a command related to the nVidia drivers. They are quite poorly designed in that they refer to a config file in the user's home folder that does not load on booting Ubuntu. You have to execute the following command on startup to re-enable any custom settings in the nvidia-settings control panel:

 

nvidia-settings --load-config-only

 

Apparently this goes in the ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsessions file but neither work even if I make them executable, Cedega still insists on running applications without FSAA. Running the command manually in the terminal works so something is preventing the command from executing. I also tried to put it in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc but that failed too.

 

Also I tried making it a script in /etc/init.rd but that failed.

 

Any ideas? I now have this command spread about in multiple places but Ubuntu refuses to execute the scripts.

Posted

Run your ~/.xinit file from an interactive terminal after you've logged on, so you can see if there are any errors shown that are normally hidden. You might find you need a full path to the command (like /usr/bin/... or similar).

 

Say 'which nvidia-settings' if you're not sure where it lives.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I tried running .xinitrc from an interactive terminal and it worked. Somehow it isn't executing startup scripts.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...