Mr_Andy Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 Hi guys. A while back I posted a thread regarding new machines and widescreen resolutions with old projectors and got the eventual solution of SetRes, which I'm very grateful for. Unfortunately now the machines are in place (as always) I've hit another stumbling block. The new machines only support the native 1440*900 when the monitor is connected directly, but not whilst hooked to it's intended home of a VGA splitter. The adapter has no such res in its list of supported modes, and SetRes knows and moans about this. I've had a play with a few other res utilities and I can't seem to force this to happen, and I've had a mooch through the previous threads and can't find anything.. Could someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks in advance. Andy
sted Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 on some splitters one port has pnp auto detect on it and if the projector is plugged into that port it will detect it cant fo that res but if you swap the 2 cables over it may if the box just cant handle 1440*900 it may be you needa better splitter or for preferance a twin head video card
dhicks Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 The new machines only support the native 1440*900 when the monitor is connected directly, but not whilst hooked to it's intended home of a VGA splitter. Does your projector support 1440*900? Ours says it supports 1280*800, but 1280*768 is the best I could convince it to do with a VGA splitter (standard, cheap Y-cable style one) and a monitor plugged in. In the end I just set 1280*768 and told the projector to make it stretch a bit to fit the whole screen. What VGA splitter device do you have - I had a look at the more expensive ones listed in Maplins' catalouge but they seemed a bit vauge as to what resolutions they supported. -- David Hicks
Mr_Andy Posted June 9, 2009 Author Posted June 9, 2009 (edited) It doesn't matter whether the projectors can handle it as I was planning on using SetRes to swap when staff want to use the projector. The higher resolutions are too compacted for practical use in the classroom. The main issue is XP not even displaying the monitor's native res (1440*900) when it's not connected directly. The splitters are externally powered boxes, but they're also not the newest. I guess the first port of call would be trial a new one, but I also can't find information on whether a splitter is capable of WXGA+. I suppose there's not much difference in price between either additional graphics cards or splitters, it's just the fact there are 12 of them I need to address. Decisions.. Edited June 9, 2009 by Mr_Andy forgot info
sted Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 i assume the video is onboard if so it may be worth checking to see if there is a header to add a 2nd vga port as it saves installing new drivers etc and may be cheaper
Mr_Andy Posted June 9, 2009 Author Posted June 9, 2009 i assume the video is onboard if so it may be worth checking to see if there is a header to add a 2nd vga port as it saves installing new drivers etc and may be cheaper It is onboard, yeah. There's a blanking plate-esque thing underneath the VGA with a symbol I'm not familiar with.. An square jagged arrow into a screen, something like [ ]<-|_|- The tag on the board just says VGA, is this potentially open to a dual header? Machines are HP DC5800 if that helps at all. Thanks everyone - sorry for being a pain, but this dual video lark is something I've never tinkered with.
Michael Posted June 9, 2009 Posted June 9, 2009 I've used HP DC5700's which I presume would be similar to HP DC5800's. To be honest I don't think the HP DC5800 is the problem, but most likely the screens you have been supplied. Are they HP or some other manufacturer? Have you tried connecting up an older screen you know works with your splitter and projector? If you have a look in Device Manager, does it list the real make/model of the screen or is Windows displaying "Plug and Play Monitor" under Monitors? You could try changing the driver to SVGA 1024 x 768 or download the real driver from the manufacturers website (if available) and see if either of these works. 1024 x 768 is also a much more realistic resolution to work with most projectors. 1440 x 900 is better than a HD resolution and only high end projectors/splitters would support these resolutions.
Mr_Andy Posted June 10, 2009 Author Posted June 10, 2009 Are they HP or some other manufacturer? Have you tried connecting up an older screen you know works with your splitter and projector? They're Acer TFTs. The old screens were CRTs running 1024 and operated at the same res through both. You could try changing the driver to SVGA 1024 x 768 or download the real driver from the manufacturers website (if available) and see if either of these works. 1024 x 768 is also a much more realistic resolution to work with most projectors. 1440 x 900 is better than a HD resolution and only high end projectors/splitters would support these resolutions. Tried all sorts of driver updates and installs to no avail. I'm aware the projectors won't be able to display the 1440 x 900, that's why I prepared a (supplied) script to call SetRes and change to 1024 when staff want to use the projector and change back when they want the crisp native res. That's my ideal solution without having to spend.
mdhoward Posted July 26, 2009 Posted July 26, 2009 So has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? I am having a similar problem that needs resolved. We have a PC set up with 4 monitors. They are all samsung syncmaster 943bwx with a 1440x900 native resolution. The video card is an ATI FireMV with 4 monitor outputs, so it is ONE card. 2 of the monitors are plugged in directly and the card is able to receive the pnp signal and correctly adapts to the 1440x900 resolution. the other 2 monitors do the same if connected directly, but we currently have them split with a vga spliters that don't have pnp signal passthrough aparently, and the card doesn't show the 1440x900 resolution available in display properties. I need a work around for this that doesn't require any programs to be installed like PowerStrip as this is a government setup and we can't install unvetted software. I know the card supports the resolution since it does it without the splitter. Under the advanced settings on display properties, the adapter tab shows 1440 by 900 as a listed mode for the monitors directly plugged into the cards output, but for the two using the splitter it lists a hundred different supported modes, but does not include 1440 by 900 even though it is the SAME card. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
SYNACK Posted July 26, 2009 Posted July 26, 2009 (edited) So has anyone figured out a solution to this problem? I am having a similar problem that needs resolved. We have a PC set up with 4 monitors. They are all samsung syncmaster 943bwx with a 1440x900 native resolution. The video card is an ATI FireMV with 4 monitor outputs, so it is ONE card. 2 of the monitors are plugged in directly and the card is able to receive the pnp signal and correctly adapts to the 1440x900 resolution. the other 2 monitors do the same if connected directly, but we currently have them split with a vga spliters that don't have pnp signal passthrough aparently, and the card doesn't show the 1440x900 resolution available in display properties. I need a work around for this that doesn't require any programs to be installed like PowerStrip as this is a government setup and we can't install unvetted software. I know the card supports the resolution since it does it without the splitter. Under the advanced settings on display properties, the adapter tab shows 1440 by 900 as a listed mode for the monitors directly plugged into the cards output, but for the two using the splitter it lists a hundred different supported modes, but does not include 1440 by 900 even though it is the SAME card. Any ideas anyone? Thanks. If you cannot use additional software your only option is to use better hardware to allow for this to work or write drivers yourself. If you could use additional software/drivers I would suggest OmegaDrivers.net - Home of the ATI & NVIDIA Omega Drivers. ATI which depending on whether your GPU is supported should allow you to force the resolution to the moniters. You could also possibly make a harness that would pass the pnp pins from the output cable to the actual moniter if you were willing to invest some time and a little cash for the bits. http://www.theavguide.co.uk/AdvHTML_Upload/vgaplug3.jpg Edited July 26, 2009 by SYNACK
dhicks Posted July 26, 2009 Posted July 26, 2009 the other 2 monitors do the same if connected directly, but we currently have them split with a vga spliters that don't have pnp signal passthrough aparently Why splitters - are there another couple of monitors or projectors connected somewhere? Do you actually just need long VGA cables instead? -- David Hicks
Michael Posted July 27, 2009 Posted July 27, 2009 that's why I prepared a (supplied) script to call SetRes and change to 1024 This is probably your only solution without spending any money. As far as I'm aware, there are no hardware solutions to split at different resolutions, only software can do this. I know the card supports the resolution since it does it without the splitter. Realistically, unless you can find a VGA splitter that supports such resolutions then your only option would be something like Nvidia Quadro or equivalent.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now