Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

For some reason, a clerk recommended me an FTP cable in order to connect the signal converter box (for optical fiber) to my router. According to him, since I pass the FTP cable under the house (a 2-foot high space), it would be better for me.

 

Since I bought the cable, I've read a lot about the importance of earthing the cable on one end. But what are the possible consequences if I don't earth the cable? Am I going to bust my router? Or set my house on fire?

 

The whole idea about earthing is pretty much a mystery for me. I have no clue how, and I'm not sure I'm ready to actually put some time to learn what to do. Unless of course anybody can send me a link to a 3-minut-howTo :)

 

Any thoughts?

 

 

Edit: Added SOLVED to the title and the icon to "Thumbs up"

Edited by fred99
Posted

Any thoughts?

 

Yes, it's been mis-sold to you. Sorry.

 

Foil-shielded cable is earthed at the ends to prevent interference. But unless you have a very long house you're not going to notice the difference between it and unshielded cable, unless you're planning on running it alongside mains or anything.

 

Just stick a normal end on it, and make sure it's well-protected from the elements - and most importantly, isn't run high enough up the wall or far enough away from the house to risk being struck by lightning.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Thanks for the quick answer!

 

But unless you have a very long house you're not going to notice the difference between it and unshielded cable, unless you're planning on running it alongside mains or anything.

 

My cable is 15m long. I guess that I'm below the "risk for interference level".

 

Just stick a normal end on it, and make sure it's well-protected from the elements

 

I don't really understand what you mean here -- a combination between not-being-native-English-speaker and not-being-technical-enough. But I can try to say what I think I understand ;-)

 

By "Just stick a normal end on it", I understand that I plug in the cable as it is, with the RJ45 contact the cable was provided with when I bought it, into the box on the one end, and into the router on the other end.

 

As for " make sure it's well-protected from the elements", I am clueless.

 

and most importantly, isn't run high enough up the wall to risk being struck by lightning

 

I qualify for this part. Cable is on the first floor (and the 0th as well...).

 

First visit to the forum by the way. Thanks for the great welcoming committee you are provided me with!

 

/fred99

Posted

My cable is 15m long. I guess that I'm below the "risk for interference level".

 

You should be fine, just make sure it's not too near electrical cables.

 

I don't really understand what you mean here -- a combination between not-being-native-English-speaker and not-being-technical-enough. But I can try to say what I think I understand ;-)

 

By "Just stick a normal end on it", I understand that I plug in the cable as it is, with the RJ45 contact the cable was provided with when I bought it, into the box on the one end, and into the router on the other end.

 

Ah, I didn't realise, sorry. If the cable you've bought already has plugs on, you're ready to go. I assumed you'd bought a reel of cable and you were planning to cut it to length and put your own plugs on.

 

As for " make sure it's well-protected from the elements", I am clueless.

 

Make sure the plastic sheathing is intact and will protect the core from the weather, and make sure the ends of the cable are inside the house for the same reason. If you're putting it underground at any point, you might want to put a shield over it (you can usually get some from good building suppliers). But it's a low-voltage cable, so this is optional.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

You're quick. And tremendously helpful!!

 

You should be fine, just make sure it's not too near electrical cables.

 

There will an electrical cable about near to it, but just near the box and the router. In other words, I am not passing other cables than this one through the basement. Would it work?

 

/fred99

Posted

There will an electrical cable about near to it, but just near the box and the router. In other words, I am not passing other cables than this one through the basement. Would it work?

 

It should be fine. If you run mains and network side-by-side for more than a couple of metres, intereference can be a problem, but they have to be quite close together.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
It should be fine. If you run mains and network side-by-side for more than a couple of metres, intereference can be a problem, but they have to be quite close together.

 

They won't even run side-by-side more than an inch, so I begin to feel safe!

 

A last question: the part about earthing, is this only (or at least mostly) applying to cables not provided with a (for example RJ45) contact module when you buy them?

Posted

A last question: the part about earthing, is this only (or at least mostly) applying to cables not provided with a (for example RJ45) contact module when you buy them?

 

It's the cable type that determines this. Foil-Shielded Twisted Pair (which is what you've got, FTP) needs an earth using a special plug at one or both ends because that's how it protects the cable against interference. Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) cable doesn't. FTP requires special plugs though, to make the earth connection.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
It's the cable type that determines this. Foil-Shielded Twisted Pair (which is what you've got, FTP) needs an earth using a special plug at one or both ends because that's how it protects the cable against interference. Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) cable doesn't. FTP requires special plugs though, to make the earth connection.

 

The special plugs you are talking about, are they usually integrated in the FTP you buy at the store (read "the kind that I bought"...)? Or should I just return the cable and stick to UTP?

 

That must feel like a ":doh:" for you but you understand that I don't want to break anything...

 

Thanks again for your help. Your patience is unbelievable!

Posted

For digital cable transcoder to router, regular Cat5 UTP network cables will suffice. No benefit from using Cat5e FTP for this purpose unless you're signed up to a broadband package offering more than 100Mb internet connection... sorry! Clerk was just trying to sting you for more money.

 

Can usually tell if FTP cable has been made correctly as plugs will have metal casings:

http://tyf.rj45.cn/pimages/9und.jpg

 

If you've got a multimeter, you can test connectivity between the metal casing on the plug at each end.

 

If it doesn't have metal casing, then the shield isn't connected, and they've used regular Cat5 plugs:

http://www.pc-point.co.uk/images/rj45xover.jpg

 

In which case take it back and demand a refund, as it isn't an FTP cable.

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Thanks for taking your time to answer!

 

For digital cable transcoder to router, regular Cat5 UTP network cables will suffice. No benefit from using Cat5e FTP for this purpose unless you're signed up to a broadband package offering more than 100Mb internet connection... sorry! Clerk was just trying to sting you for more money.

 

My broadband package is 100Mbs, so I'm just on the limit of actually see a difference.

 

Can usually tell if FTP cable has been made correctly as plugs will have metal casings:

http://tyf.rj45.cn/pimages/9und.jpg

 

There is a metal case. And the pin that is helping to connect the cable with is also in metal.

 

If you've got a multimeter, you can test connectivity between the metal casing on the plug at each end.

 

I unfortunately do not have a multimeter.

 

Do I still have to earth the cable or do I just assume that the metal case is taking care of that?

 

/fred99

 

Edit: Corrected "I unfortunately do NOT have a multimeter"

Edited by fred99
Posted

fred99,

 

I think you can safely go ahead, plug everything in and it will work. For that sort of cable run I wouldn`t have thought you needed shelding, but if that cable is inside, protected from sun and rain it will do the job.

 

If the devices have shelded ports the earthing will be done for you, if they don`t I would NOT try to add additional earth connections. You may end up creating more problems that its worth.

 

I am assuming that you are just running this cable from one room to another, rather than between buildings on different mains power supplies.

 

Hope that helps.

 

RobK

  • Thanks 1
Posted
fred99,

 

I think you can safely go ahead, plug everything in and it will work. For that sort of cable run I wouldn`t have thought you needed shelding, but if that cable is inside, protected from sun and rain it will do the job.

 

If the devices have shelded ports the earthing will be done for you, if they don`t I would NOT try to add additional earth connections. You may end up creating more problems that its worth.

 

I am assuming that you are just running this cable from one room to another, rather than between buildings on different mains power supplies.

 

Hope that helps.

 

RobK

 

All your assumptions are right. This mean that we can close this case as resolved :-)

 

The whole installation will completed in the middle of August. I will get back in this thread to tell you about the results.

 

Thanks all for the quick and extremely helpful help you have provided me with!

 

Best regards,

fred99

Posted
My broadband package is 100Mbs, so I'm just on the limit of actually see a difference.

 

You lucky thang! I SO live in the wrong country...

Posted
You lucky thang! I SO live in the wrong country...

 

Hehe, I understand your reaction. I'm actually jealous of myself :) On the other hand, before you sell your house/flat and buy a one-way ticket to Sweden, don't forget that it is not very common here with 100 Mbs and most of all, there are things you can do in other countries with that kind of internet-speed that you can't do here -- I'm referring to a quite recent trial... I am aware that I'm getting out of topic now but I couldn't help myself :D

  • 2 months later...
Posted
The whole installation will completed in the middle of August. I will get back in this thread to tell you about the results.

 

Everything is in place now. 100 Mbs down, 100 Mbs up working like a charm! Looking forward to see you all moving to Sweden :D

 

Once again tx all for your help.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...