Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

My colleague has been pulling his fine ginger locks out all morning over this one, and I don't have a clue what's going on so maybe some of you can help.

 

He's got a web based helpdesk system set up using a virtual machine on one of our servers, it uses Apache, mysql I expect... the usual stuff. Anyway, the point is that on our local network we can access it from some machines and not others. The server is on 10.12.56.43, and any machine that has an ip beginning 10.12 can access it. We do, however, have a few different ip ranges and anything on a 10.14 address cannot access it. Haven't tried it with 10.13 yet!

 

What I don't understand is that we have other Linux servers on the 10.12 range and our 10.14 workstations can access them fine. We don't have a problem with any of our windows servers.

 

So my question is, are we missing a trick? Is there something we need to configure on the server to get this to work or is it something in the dns? Any help would be appreciated!

Posted

Subnets vary around the school. 10.12.56.* use 255.255.252.0 while 10.14.20.* use 255.255.255.0

 

I'm assuming this is correct... that's how it's always been anyway. I don't exactly understand what dictates what the subnet is, maybe I need to rtfm!

 

My colleague has made a breakthrough though, he found that if he typed in the full path to the index.php file, including the file name, it all works fine so it sounds like Apache is configured to pull up index.htm or similar. Doesn't explain why it works fine from the other clients.

Posted

Ah, you've got an additional EMBC range on top of your initial one, I hadn't seen that sorry.

 

Sounds like DirectoryIndex in the apache config needs modified to include index.php.

Posted

Turns out that's a side issue, it's still not working.

 

I did an Apache restart and got this message:

 

"apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 10.12.56.43 for ServerName"

 

Is this a problem?

Posted
Well it's not fatal. However to fix it you just need to add the 'ServerName ' into the servers configuration somewhere. If it's a debian based install this'll be in the default vhost: /etc/apache2/hosts-enabled/default

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...