mac_shinobi Posted April 28, 2009 Posted April 28, 2009 Got a sata to ide pcb board to convert or allow sata optical drives ie a sata blu ray drive such as the LG blu ray drive to be attached to the PCB and the PCB attaches to the IDE connector in the apple mac pro I have the early 2008 mac pro which has 2 quad core 2.8 ghz cpu's with 2gb of ram and an nvidia 8800GT. If I boot camped windows and got power dvd would that be sufficient to connect to my HD TV via DVI to HDMI cable to allow me to stream blu ray movie so the telly ? Just an LG sata blu ray drive is £70 quid plus what P+P is versus a sony BDSP or whatever model it is 350 is £170 from ebay or somewhere around that price mark. And I already have a HD TV with a DVI to HDMI cable and the mac pro so bit of a jump from 70 to 170 or more.
skawarrior Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 (edited) The theory is sound. I'd try to connect everything and play a DVD with powerDVD first. It would be better to find out you've got a problem with HDCP authentication before you purchase the Blu Ray drive. Thinking about it you could still have a HDCP authentication problem once you use PowerDVD with a Blu Ray disk. Its probably safer to spend the extra money on the standalone player. Edited April 29, 2009 by skawarrior
mac_shinobi Posted April 29, 2009 Author Posted April 29, 2009 The theory is sound. I'd try to connect everything and play a DVD with powerDVD first. It would be better to find out you've got a problem with HDCP authentication before you purchase the Blu Ray drive. Thinking about it you could still have a HDCP authentication problem once you use PowerDVD with a Blu Ray disk. Its probably safer to spend the extra money on the standalone player. forgot to mention that I was going to get any dvd HD : SlySoft AnyDVD HD I Mean If I can buy a dvd and stream that to my HD TV then I don't see why doing the same with blu ray would make any difference as I am not trying to crack the css or encoding to make copies or backup copies but only to stream to my telly to watch it in the same way I would play a dvd.
SYNACK Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 Should work so long as both your graphics card and TV support HDCP otherwiise it may be downscaled.
skawarrior Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 forgot to mention that I was going to get any dvd HD : SlySoft AnyDVD HD I Mean If I can buy a dvd and stream that to my HD TV then I don't see why doing the same with blu ray would make any difference as I am not trying to crack the css or encoding to make copies or backup copies but only to stream to my telly to watch it in the same way I would play a dvd. HDCP protects the video and audio as it travels through the video port. So where you could stream a DVD, Blu Ray may not work. I've heard that mac hardware can give untold amounts of problems when playing Blu Ray even with bootcamped XP. AnyDVD should solve the problem as it states that you can "Watch movies over digital display connection, without HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compliant display." One other issue I'd keep in mind is when playing video with XP under bootcamp I've had intermittent audio interference. Searching the net I found this was something to do with the wireless under XP. Turn it off and all will be well
DMcCoy Posted April 29, 2009 Posted April 29, 2009 Got a sata to ide pcb board to convert or allow sata optical drives ie a sata blu ray drive such as the LG blu ray drive to be attached to the PCB and the PCB attaches to the IDE connector in the apple mac pro I have the early 2008 mac pro which has 2 quad core 2.8 ghz cpu's with 2gb of ram and an nvidia 8800GT. If I boot camped windows and got power dvd would that be sufficient to connect to my HD TV via DVI to HDMI cable to allow me to stream blu ray movie so the telly ? Just an LG sata blu ray drive is £70 quid plus what P+P is versus a sony BDSP or whatever model it is 350 is £170 from ebay or somewhere around that price mark. And I already have a HD TV with a DVI to HDMI cable and the mac pro so bit of a jump from 70 to 170 or more. I've tried a convertor a while back, although just on a pc. You will have to keep an eye out for DMA issues! I could only ever get SATA dvd drives working in PIO mode, it could be changed in windows but reverted back after freezing the machine.
mac_shinobi Posted April 30, 2009 Author Posted April 30, 2009 I've got something similiar to the below Sata To IDE PCB Board To connect the IDE to the IDE cable / adaptor in the mac pro and obviously attach the SATA optical drive ( blu ray or dvd ) to the sata end ( obviously )
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now