Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm sorry to say that my network has still got WinSuite on it and I have new machines which need it on for a few months (Aim to be eradicated over summer if I get time to sort the replacement before then)

 

Anyway as I'm stuck with it I need some help: firstly I can't find a CD or and install file on the network - this kind of links with secondly - How do you install the client on the workstations?

 

Also I know it's not meant to support vista but I currently am having trouble getting the XP drivers for the Fujitsu things that were ordered for me and so Vista is looking like an easier way to go but has anyone tried installing Winsuite on Vista?

Posted

NO GPO's in place for management - I'm currently in the process of eradication the evidence of the old domain and setting up a new one but I don't currently have Internet access to log in from home and work on the development uninterupted

 

for now I'm going to have to stick with how it was all previously setup

Posted

Have a look at your login script. You may find there is a line that is rem'd out and it will include an exe command called with "town" in it. I can't remember the exact name. Take out the rem and save it. When you log in clients they should then automatically install winsuite.

 

If this isn't in the login script then you need to run the "town" whatever exe from the client. It's in a hidden share on the server.

 

Or you could call NDI. The number was 01270 506612 but that was a while ago.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Which version of Winsuite are you using? Winsuite 2000 or Winstuite AD? They both install slightly differently AFAIK. I think in both cases the client is installed from a share on the server though.

 

When I was at Thorpe they used Winsuite 2000. I did try setting a machine up without Winsuite on it once as a test. It appears it does something horrible to the users profile - part of the desktop setting I think. If a user (student) with a roaming profile logs onto a Winsuite machine and then later try's to log on to a non Winsuite machine they get a blank desktop. No icons, no items in the start menu.

 

We use Winsuite AD where I am at the moment. Because of my previous experiences with Winsuite 2000 at Thorpe I haven't bothered trying a roaming profile account between Winsuite and non-Winsuite machines here. I too am waiting for the summer and then re-ghosting the whole school without Winsuite :D

Posted (edited)

I think it is Winsuite 2000 on these but I try not to go near anyting to do with it - should it tell me if I turn on a computer?

 

EDIT: Have checked - It's Winsuite2000

Edited by DAckroyd
Posted

From memory, there should be a hidden share on the server hosting the winsuite installation. I think it's called 'RollNT$' from memory. The client installer is in there. I think the version that is in there needs to be run from the command line with a switch.

 

At the last school we used a shortcut set up with the correct switches to install the Winsuite client.

 

Here we use Winsuite AD and have a batch file set to run the client install. I've just checked the batch file and the switches used are '/i /s' but it is likely that Winsuite 2000 uses different switches.

  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

More help required please!

 

I've tried installing winsuite from \\\NTroll$\townt.exe

I've tried installing from the winsuite.bat logon script on a new user for installing winsuite with administrator rights and domain admin rights and the .bat looks at the above and adds /i/bug and that doesn't work

 

It's moaning about some winsuite group thing not being there - I hate this bloomin thing - any help is desperately required!

Thanks

Posted
Is it complaining about not being able to connect to 'Domain ( )'? If so the only solution I've found so far is to back up the 'Config' folder and re-install WinSuite on the server.
Posted

i THINK the townnt command has to be run from a mapped drive (in my case t: i dont think it works from a \\server\rollnt$ folder)

 

as a point does youre network have wins as with winsuite being designed really for 98/95 pcs it wouldnt surprise me if wins was a requirement

Posted
tried from H:\ being mapped to \\phserver1\rollnt$ and changing the logon script to the same and it's still not working - get same message
Posted
we don't know if we are licenced and if we aren't then we don't want to be made to buy one. I will try our County IT support - see if they can help as they put it in origionally
Posted

Sorry for the confusion - the error in your screenshot was the one I was asking about. Had this come up quiet a few times at the last school. Never did work out why, seemed almost random.

 

What we did find is re-installing WinSuite on the server fixed the problem (until it happened again). There have been times when I've had to re-install WinSuite 2/3 times to install it in a room of 30 machines.

 

Re-installing WinSuite on the server will not effect any existing client installs, so you don't need to re-install the clients, just the server copy.

 

You won't loose any settings if you back up the config folder first and use this to overwrite the config in the new installation.

 

Also you should have a licence file somewhere otherwhys it will not let you install the client to more than 5 machines.

Posted

I did contact Winsuite2000 tech support about this issue when I was there. The response was as tmcd35 said. Remove the folder. That was not a viable option in February last when it first started happening, and obviously it's started again. In the end we had to Ghost an existing image onto the machines that needed updating.

 

Winsuite is / should be licensed throughout the school. There should also be a enough teachers licenses for 4 teachers.

 

If you have any problems with the school stuff just give send me a PM on here aor email me via the KES ictc account.

  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Welcome to EduGeek Alex,

 

The not so simple answer to your question is Active Directory Group Policy Objects (AD GPO's for short). These are a standard feature of Windows Server and is how professional versions of M$ Windows are supposed to be secured/maintained.

 

WinSuite was originally a method of allowing Windows 98 (not a professional version Windows) to also be controlled in a similar by a Windows Server. Since Windows 98 was replaced with Windows XP Professional a lot of schools have been left with this legacy app getting in the way of their security settings - Grrrr.

 

Just about everything WinSuite ever did can be done, and usually with greater control, from within AD. The settings can be found within 'AD Users and Computers'. Right-click an 'Organisational Unit' and click 'Properties'.

 

If you haven't played with these setting before get a good book on Windows 2003 Server, have a read through the structure - most of it makes sense when you look at it. Don't actually change anything until you are sure of what you want to achieve.

 

The best starting point - which is what I'm in the middle of doing here - is setting up a seperate test network with a test server, test domain and some test clients. You can then experiment and work out exactly what settings you need to change to get the results you are after for your desktop.

 

I'm looking at implementing such things as Mandatory Profiles, Start Menu redirection and Desktop folder redirection. I now have the students desktop pretty well tied down - can't see/access the C: drive, can only run programs in the start menu, etc.

 

If you have any further questions, want more help, advise, etc do hesitate to PM me.

 

Terry.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...