soapyfish Posted March 31, 2009 Posted March 31, 2009 I have possible problem. I have 4 RM CC3 DC's and I was under the impression that when 1 server goes down the other 3 DC's would be able to authenticate users and log them in with a default profile. This seems to only be happening in part. For example we have different years groups on each server and if the server that is hosting the home directories and profiles for year 7 goes down then the other server will authenticate the users and log them in with a default profile, so they can produde work and browse the internet etc and save data to a USB drive if needed. The authentication seems to work but then the server say that it cannot locate the home dir or profile and logs the user out again. Is this a server configuration error or correct behaviour ? I have tested this using all clean machines with no local profiles cached. I have also tried forcing AD replication although this seems to happen very quickly in less than a second. The short time makes me think that its failing silently. any sugestion would be very greatfully recieved.
Michael Posted March 31, 2009 Posted March 31, 2009 The authentication seems to work but then the server say that it cannot locate the home dir or profile and logs the user out again. Is this a server configuration error or correct behaviour ? The policy you're after is within - Computer Config > Admin Templates > System > User Profiles Log users off when roaming profile fails This policy has to be enabled, but by default it isn't. Chances are however that RM do use this policy from what you're describing. I have also tried forcing AD replication although this seems to happen very quickly in less than a second. This is normal behaviour and is nothing to worry about. 1
PiqueABoo Posted March 31, 2009 Posted March 31, 2009 Is this a server configuration error or correct behaviour ? If the server where a user's profile and documents live is down, then telling you it can't access that user's profile and documents sounds very reasonable to me. [For a school the logoff in those circumstance is OK too]
soapyfish Posted March 31, 2009 Author Posted March 31, 2009 Thanks for the quick replies . I am going to have a quick look at the server and see whats what.
soapyfish Posted March 31, 2009 Author Posted March 31, 2009 ok, I have looked at the server and there are lots of policies the Default RM Domain Policy has the setting "not configured" and this says in the description that if one is not avalible then a default will be used. For me this is not happeneing but there are many other RM policy objects that are proababbly set differently I will check the rest of them tomorrow. Thanks again
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now