gq52 Posted March 25, 2009 Posted March 25, 2009 Hi Just arrived home to find my wife has 'lost' a Word file she had just about finished for a course module - many hours worth. She was working and the lot started to delete, the way she describes it it sounds like the backspace key stuck down. Unfortunately she CTRL/ALT/Del to escape and then saved the file. Trouble is she saved it (a) with the original file name and (b) with less than 1 line of text left.......... Is there any way to recover the work without her retying the lot from scratch?? Using : XP, Office 2000 (must upgrade!). Autorecover info not available as she apparently saved and quit 'correctly'.... I have FileRestore application installed but it cannot find anything worthwhile...... Any help/advice appreciated.
RabbieBurns Posted March 25, 2009 Posted March 25, 2009 If she hasnt closed word she can just edit-undo to get the text back.. However, I spent a day working on a document, had a fancy front cover and a decent header footer etc, so the next day when i needed to make a similar document, I used my existing one as a template. Unfortunately, I pressed save, closed word, and then realised my mistake. I had saved over the previous days doc. Fortunately I had printed it out so all was not lost, but I fear it might be in your missus' case.
gq52 Posted March 25, 2009 Author Posted March 25, 2009 If she hasnt closed word she can just edit-undo to get the text back.. However, I spent a day working on a document, had a fancy front cover and a decent header footer etc, so the next day when i needed to make a similar document, I used my existing one as a template. Unfortunately, I pressed save, closed word, and then realised my mistake. I had saved over the previous days doc. Fortunately I had printed it out so all was not lost, but I fear it might be in your missus' case. Sadly, saved it and closed Word, no printout either.....
elsiegee40 Posted March 25, 2009 Posted March 25, 2009 (edited) There is one (very) lonsghot available to you. Word temporary files (what it uses for recovery and undo) Firstly use Windows Explorer and go to the folder where your's wife's document is stored. Go to Tools > Folder Options and then choose the View tab Make sure the box is checked for 'Show hidden files and folders' And [OK] out. You may find that old Word temporary files (they'll start ~$ or ~WRD) appear and you can try opening those by double clicking on them. If they don't appear, Word has cleared them up... it is supposed to, but doesn't always. Look for a free data recovery programme - google for one and search for all deleted files in that folder. There is an outside chance you will find a temporary file with your wife's document in it. Beyond that, I think the document has gone; sorry Edited March 25, 2009 by elsiegee40
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now