plexer Posted March 17, 2009 Posted March 17, 2009 I'm trying to create a new vm on my esxi 3.5 u3 box I just actually installed U3 as a fresh install on the server. I've created the vm given it some hard drive space. I've then set it to boot into the bios the first time and changed the boot order to cd rom first. Then I connect the cd rom to a local iso file and select save and exit in the bios which then reboots the machine with the cd connected to the iso file. This is where it hangs and eventually disconnects the cd rom. Now at this stage if I select reboot the vm it hangs at 95% and I have to reboot the whole server to restore order. It's running on a Poweredge 840 server. Ben
Theblacksheep Posted March 17, 2009 Posted March 17, 2009 (edited) First off, has the CD drive got the 'connected at power-on' checkbox ticked? Secondly, does a different iso from the same local store work? Edited March 17, 2009 by Theblacksheep
plexer Posted March 17, 2009 Author Posted March 17, 2009 You can't have a client device cdrom connected at power on, you have to click the connect cd/dvd 1 button once it's powered on. Ben
plexer Posted March 17, 2009 Author Posted March 17, 2009 I'm now trying to upload the iso to the datastore to do it that way.
Theblacksheep Posted March 17, 2009 Posted March 17, 2009 (edited) I'm now trying to upload the iso to the datastore to do it that way. Best way... reliable cd drive too the VM ones! Come to think of it, I dont think i've ever had it working as a passthrough with esxi, datastore only. Edited March 17, 2009 by Theblacksheep
plexer Posted March 17, 2009 Author Posted March 17, 2009 Grr I can upload a text file of a few k to the datastore but anything larger gives an i/o error. That'll do for today. Ben
Theblacksheep Posted March 17, 2009 Posted March 17, 2009 (edited) Grr I can upload a text file of a few k to the datastore but anything larger gives an i/o error. Stop around 2GB? Wasnt with IE was it? Give FF a go or use winscp/veeamscp to copy large files directly to the datastore. Although you will need to enable SSH to do this, its just a couple of linux commands. Edited March 17, 2009 by Theblacksheep
plexer Posted March 17, 2009 Author Posted March 17, 2009 was firefox i was using didn't even get very far. Running diagnostics on the server now will see in the morning what that tells me.
plexer Posted March 17, 2009 Author Posted March 17, 2009 was firefox i was using didn't even get very far. Running diagnostics on the server now will see in the morning what that tells me.
plexer Posted March 18, 2009 Author Posted March 18, 2009 Ran a memory test on the box last night and it all checked out fine. I've enabled ssh on it and now copying the iso to the datastore using that so far 69% complete so far so good. We'll see when it comes to using the thing. Ben
plexer Posted March 18, 2009 Author Posted March 18, 2009 So far so good currently running windows setup. Strange as I've always used the method I outlined before. Ben
plexer Posted March 18, 2009 Author Posted March 18, 2009 Well that's a result thanks for the advice, just installed server 2003 from iso stored in the datastore. Anyone looking for vmware oriented scp client have a look at this freebie Veeam FastSCP 3.0 for VMware ESX / ESXi - VMware ESX Virtual Server Management Ben
lbo Posted January 7, 2010 Posted January 7, 2010 shame we can only get a workaround rather than a solution lbo Bast Monitoring - Server Monitoring, Electronic (POS) Point of Sale Monitoring, EFTPOS monitoring and Workstation Monitoring, a managed solution for your business
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now