Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Seems to work fine, though I've only tried in in container mode.

 

I only wish that there was an MSI for it. I've tried to repackage it myself but the COM registration that sets up the UAC exceptions don't work, so even once the kernel driver is installed it still requires a UAC elevation (on XP once the driver is installed you don't need admin priveleges). If you install using the official .exe installer it works fine, but that's not a great option for 300+ workstations.

Posted
@AngryTechnician

Make a blank MSI that installs it then.

 

being noob with MSI's in terms of creating them and not having used vista - how would you create a blank one to include it changing the correct COM registrations as well as ensuring it runs with elevated permissions to allow them to run correctly in relation to truecrypt ? :doh:

Posted

I refuse to use MSIs as a wrapper because it's dirty and wrong.

 

It also seems to malfunction a lot. Adobe use the same method for the MSIs for Flash Player and that deployment goes wrong more than every other deployment on our system combined.

Posted

It may just be the way Adobe have done it, but we frequently come across machines where the MSI has deployed but Flash simply doesn't work because the wrapped .exe has thrown an error that Windows Installer can't detect, so never reports.

 

Secondly, we've been seeing a lot of errors such as "Error 2753. The File 'FP_AX_MSI_INSTALLER.exe' is not marked for installation." both when deploying and then subsequently attempting to remove the deployment. We've had to use Windows Installer Cleanup Tool to remove these, and that makes AngryTechnician cry.

 

Thirdly, with any wrapper MSI, you have to be very careful in ensuring the wrapped .exe will never EVER display a UI when called via it's custom action. I've had problems with Flash (back in the v8 days) and Java Runtime (very recently) where they have popped up modal dialogue boxes during the deployment - which of course are in session 0 and the user cannot interact with them, so the managed software install simply hangs until you remotely kill whatever process is holding it up.

 

All in all I've had more bad experiences with products installed this way than good ones, so I'm very loathe to go down that route myself.

Posted (edited)

Yer, only work with good documentation and a well written msi.

 

I remember, Adobe (CS3) is a bit of an arse to do

 

Main problem I had was when you have to deploy stuff during the day and they would plug the network cable mid way though (that's SMS stuff).

 

Out of interest, have you figured out away to turn off auto updates (and deploying them manually)?

 

EDIT:

Adobe Reader: MSI - easy - requires registration with Adobe

Adobe Flash : MSI - easy - requires registration with Adobe

Adobe Shockwave - easy - switch /s off hand.

Edited by matt40k
Posted (edited)
Adobe Reader: MSI - easy - requires registration with Adobe

Adobe Flash : MSI - easy - requires registration with Adobe

Adobe Shockwave - easy - switch /s off hand.

 

Oh I use those - they are the ones that go wrong! Adobe Reader isn't even a wrapper, it's a native MSI, but it still uses shonky custom actions that go wrong, resulting in about 5% of our machines throwing "Internal Error 2753.Updater.api_NON_OPT" every time we roll out as new version of Reader and requiring a manual reinstall.

 

Not that I'm bitter about Adobe not being able to write working installers...

 

As for disabling auto-updates, I used this method and deployed the file they describe using Group Policy Preferences

Edited by AngryTechnician
Adobe Reader errors
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...