Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Got the go-ahead to buy a 3G USB stick to use as backup method of uploading chickcam images in a couple of weeks time.

 

Anyone used one - looking for one a pay-as-u-go one, preferably with no time limit on the data purchased.

 

It'd be nice if it worked with Linux so I can use it to backup up an entire school t'internet in the future :)

 

reards

 

Simon

Posted
Hmm, don't know how much it helps but my 3 PAYG is fine for me. It has a 30-day limit on credit though, but it does play nicely with Debian using the vodafone driver and your choice of wvdial and front-end (gnome-ppp for me).
  • Thanks 1
Posted
Before you go ahead with the purchase of one check that you can actually get coverage in your area!! I get good (not perfect) coverage on my mobile phone at home but have naff all on my PAYG 3g USB!! Both of which are vodafone...go figure! I know that I'm not the only one who suffers with this problem. :(
Posted

I was going to test 1st with my 3g phone (vodaphone omnia) to see if it worked as a modem at the school but maybe that won't be good enough :eek:

 

I'll check to make sure I can take it back if it doesn't work.

 

regards

 

Simon

Posted

Well went around a few shops and asked about their pay-as-u-go deals and vodaphone were only one to have unlimited duration for data bought (but were the worst value for money/GB) but they had the best returns policy and $40 got a stick with 1GB data pre-loaded.

 

Also, they had far the best returns policy (14 days no quibble get all your money back as opposed to the worst which was 3Gs - 3 days to return if coverage isn't good enough)

 

Just done a quick check - 10 mins of uploading 640x480 every 9 secs used up 550kB so x6x24x10 == 773MB so 1GB allowance should last the duration of the chickcam event :)

 

regards

 

Simon

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...