Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
I might be in need of a new Cisco Core switch soon, I have a Cisco 3550 and I've run out of ports, I want to upgrade that..........any recommendations?
Posted
What kind of system are you running now, how many fibre links do you need, are you running multiple subnets and how many servers/hosts do you need to fit.
Posted

Everything is Cisco, we have 3 VLANS, 3 Subnets, We have fibre from all cabinets to the other core switch, and a fibre from the main core to the other core switch (the one i want to replace)

 

I would like a 24 porter

Posted

Personally I like the 3750-E series as it is all gigabit and offers layer3 switching which is epicly faster that layer 3 routing and can drop the routing delay down to the same as switching delay. They are also stackable which gives you room to connect up additional 3750s on a high speed stack interface to avoid bottlenecks. They also offer 10GB SFP ports for really quick fibre when it comes time to upgrade core links it also does IP6.

 

Cisco Catalyst 3750-E Series Switches Data Sheet [Cisco Catalyst 3750-E Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

 

The 4900 series is its bigger brother and will offer even more speed when it comes to handeling routing, it does IP6 also.

Posted

Also recommend the 3750 series - It is an excellent switch!

 

I use WS-G3750-24-TS-S as our core switches (we have a stack) - This is the standard software version rather than -E enhanced version.

 

I have about 12 Vlans / Subnets and have never seen our utilization go over 10% and we have a pretty big network here.

 

Doubt he will need dynamic routing which you will gain from the enhanced IOS software image ;) ?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...