Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi powdarrmonkey I'm having a few issues with the install.

 

On install I get the attached error messages that stop me installing it on my domain controller. The error that comes up during the install is:

 

"Service 'Shutdownertron' failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." - I should be I'm a domain admin :confused:

 

If I look in the event viewer it says:

 

EventID: 11920 Type: Error

"Product Shutdownertron - Error 1920. Service 'Shutdownertron' failed to start.... (same as above)

 

And if I try to start the service manually while the install is waiting at the "Retry" or "Cancel" stage I get:

 

Could not start the Shutdownertron service on local computer

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. :eek:

 

I'm logged in as an Admin and I'm trying to install via VNC remotely (Does this matter?)

 

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

FB

Posted
I strongly suggest you don't install the service component on your domain controller - check you've unselected the service (if you selected just the policies and it's doing it anyway, that's probably my fault).
  • Thanks 1
Posted

So install install the template on the domain controllers and deploy the msi via gp to the machines which just installed the service yeah?

 

install like this on the domain controllers:

Shutdownertron.jpg

Posted
So install install the template on the domain controllers and deploy the msi via gp to the machines which just installed the service yeah?

 

install like this on the domain controllers:

 

Exactly :)

 

Once you've installed the template, create and edit a new policy object, right-click 'Administrative Templates' and add shutdownertron.adm, and you'll see the options appear.

 

Send the msi out to some workstations and in their event logs you should see the service starting and showing its current configuration. You might need to do a group policy update first if you're impatient.

Posted

OWWWW :doh:

 

And it was all going so well :nerd: I got the policy template install/configured in a new policy and set the msi to be deployed on two test PCs I have in the office, restarted the and sure enough on startup it said installing Shutdownertron. However when I logged in to the PC the eventvwr said it hadn't installed properly with exactly the same error as the domain controller (That it doesn't have permission!)

 

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MsiInstaller

Event Category: None

Event ID: 11920

Date: 19/02/2009

Time: 11:22:29

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: TEMP

Description:

Product: Shutdownertron -- Error 1920. Service 'Shutdownertron' (Shutdownertron) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

Data:

0000: 7b 33 41 41 45 41 39 43 {3AAEA9C

0008: 32 2d 31 39 42 35 2d 34 2-19B5-4

0010: 31 37 32 2d 39 35 38 35 172-9585

0018: 2d 30 37 43 36 31 35 39 -07C6159

0020: 45 36 30 30 41 7d E600A}

:mad: :eek:

 

I can't think what the hell would stop an msi installing via a GP we haven't had this problem before as far as I know :confused:

Posted
Do you have the .Net framework v2 installed?

 

Noob mistake! :doh: I read the prerequisite and thought yep no problem all machines have .net installed to 3.5 but DOH my test machines are not in a OU that gets caught by WSUS so no they haven't got .NET on. I'll do that now! :D

 

Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...