Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
Does anybody know which would be the best database format for running 4 hosts and about 20 vm's? The vmware manuels say that SQL 2005 express will only support 5 hosts and 5 virtual machines, I'm sure that I read on the vm site that it was 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines. Should I even use SQL 2005 express or just go for SQL 2005 standard edition?
Posted (edited)

Its 5 hosts and 50VMs for the sql express version with VC2.5.

 

"Note VMware recommends Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express for small deployments only (up to 5 hosts and 50 virtual machines)."

 

http://pubs.vmware.com/vi35/install/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=install&file=install_unified_vi.8.6.html

 

This is down to a 4GB limit to the database.... I'm not sure if this is a phyical limit or a 'suggested limit' as the database size predictor doesnt get near 4gb with 5 hosts and 100 guests.

 

I've just setup 4 hosts (bl480c), seperate VC box (rm dualsrv) with sql express. Apparently its not hard to migrate to a full SQL install if you want to support more VMs (like VDI (view)).

 

Moving SQL database:

http://www.amikkelsen.com/files/documents/MovingVCenterDBfrom1SQLtoanother.pdf

Edited by Theblacksheep
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Great thread, a question I had was if it I wanted to move the database from one server to another, if this could be done. It seems like it is possible.
  • 1 year later...
Posted

Hi sorry

I got a question about the SQL database which vcenter uses.

 

We have an issue at the moment where from a client we were not able to login to the vcenter server, this was because the vcenter server service was going to a stopped state.

VMware support told me it was because the database was growing in size and once we ran a backup it seemed to have resolved the problem.

We are in a similar situation where we only have 3 hosts so dont need a full blown SQL server so have been using SQL express with management studio express.

Through this I can do one off backups but it means I need to remember to do them.

 

Is anyone else using SQL express with vcenter and able to do scheduled backups.

I am not very good with backup scripts. Has anyone got one that I could borrow? The VMware guy said I could use Transact SQL to do scheduled backups??? He wasn't able to talk me through with this though.

 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...