yabbadabba Posted February 3, 2009 Posted February 3, 2009 Basically I am looking at the most effiecient way of connecting to a Ubuntu box from Windows XP Proffesional across my LAN. I have tried VNC and it does work but I find it slightly laggy, so basically is there a better way? I use XP's RDP for all of my other machines and they are fine, connection is quick and responsive so I know its not a network issue. Cheers in advance.
danboid Posted February 7, 2009 Posted February 7, 2009 Graphical or cli? As powdarrm says, you can use putty under xp to control your ubuntu box over t'net if you have sshd running on your buntu box but seeing as you mention VNC then I presume you want to control your ubuntu box from xp over net graphically? In that case you want to use freenx. Sadly there is no freenx server in the ubuntu repos last time I checked so you'll have to go to FreeNX - the free NX or NoMachine NX - Desktop Virtualization and Remote Access Management Software for that but there is an nx client in buntu repos at least- qtnx. To access my freenx server under winbloze I use a tasty treat called portablenxclient which is what it says- a no install required XP nx client you can just run off a pendrive! Problem is that it doesn't seem to like saving your settings so you've gotta type your IP and login details every time but I'm not bothered enough about that yet to look into a solution. 1
powdarrmonkey Posted February 7, 2009 Posted February 7, 2009 Graphical or cli? As powdarrm says, you can use putty under xp to control your ubuntu box over t'net if you have sshd running on your buntu box but seeing as you mention VNC then I presume you want to control your ubuntu box from xp over net graphically? In that case you want to use freenx. You misunderstand me (because I didn't explain well). Connecting with Putty in X-forwarding mode, and having the XMing server running locally, allows you to launch graphical applications on the Ubuntu box that display their wares on your local box. Exactly like Remote Desktop does, except they aren't bound to a window - you can treat them just like normal windows.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now